Newbie help needed 2003 import won't start!

DaveS

I have had a 2003 Japanese import 350Z for a year - great car! No problems until 3 weeks ago a warning light came up on dash, 'possible engine management problem'. Car running fine but thought I better get it checked out so took to local auto electrics garage to run diagnostics. Unfortunately the battery died in the middle of test (I knew was dodgy and was due to be replaced the next week) and whatever they did could not get the car started again. Had to get it towed to Nissan dealer and after a week they got new codes from Japan (Nissan technical?) and reprogramed keys etc - still won't start, but headlights come on when try. Now they say is a communication problem and either the IPDM (?) or ECU may have blown (some error codes suggest something to do with jump stating which might have caused the problem). They say each of these cost >£1000 and will be hard to source Japanese version.

I don't know what to do now so any help/advice from you guys would be much appreciated!!

So have you had a new battery put in yet??? Engine management light will come up if the battery is getting weak.

Start with the basics first before panicking, if may not be a major at all. Please explain exactly what it's doing.

If you haven't already had a new battery put in, it may pay too, one thing eliminated. Hopefully it's not still on it's original battery???

Also use the search function on here and put on "pedal dance". This is the manual procedure for you to find error codes yourself.

I have had a 2003 Japanese import 350Z for a year - great car! No problems until 3 weeks ago a warning light came up on dash, 'possible engine management problem'. Car running fine but thought I better get it checked out so took to local auto electrics garage to run diagnostics. Unfortunately the battery died in the middle of test (I knew was dodgy and was due to be replaced the next week) and whatever they did could not get the car started again. Had to get it towed to Nissan dealer and after a week they got new codes from Japan (Nissan technical?) and reprogramed keys etc - still won't start, but headlights come on when try. Now they say is a communication problem and either the IPDM (?) or ECU may have blown (some error codes suggest something to do with jump stating which might have caused the problem). They say each of these cost >£1000 and will be hard to source Japanese version.

I don't know what to do now so any help/advice from you guys would be much appreciated!!

^^ Battery first. Where are you? Someone might be able to help/or at least point you in the direction of a dealership who might do a better job analysing your problem, to say "ECU or IPDM might have blown" wouldn't leave me feeling over confident in their abilities quite frankly :thumbdown::pmzmanalex: for advice too and availability and price of ECU IPDM's just in case.

Thanks for the advice so far! The car is stuck in the garage, I assume they have tried a new battery but I will double check. Also will try and get some more technical details and post them. Wish I had replaced the battery sooner :( . I'm in N.Ireland - I'm guessing thats not near any of you!

Thanks for the advice so far! The car is stuck in the garage, I assume they have tried a new battery but I will double check. Also will try and get some more technical details and post them. Wish I had replaced the battery sooner :( . I'm in N.Ireland - I'm guessing thats not near any of you!

We do have a few members in Ireland. Can't remember if they're northern or not.

• 4 weeks later...

Still haven't got this problem resolved. I managed to get this explanation from the garage:

'Checked for not starting found NATS code logged, cleared code , no difference, removed IPDM- and checked connections - ok, charged

battery, - requires new battery. Carried out further checks using consult and found IPDM not showing on control unit links. Carried out wiring and CAN communication checks - seem to be ok , possible internal fault in IPDM would need to try another IPDM first , part number for IPDM is 284B7 AL51B price - 1155 +vat.'

I am of course getting the battery replaced (£60.00 + vat fitted) but do you think this is a reasonable diagnosis? Any advice for what else they should try or if not any idea where I can get an IPDM any cheaper? Am reluctant to fork out all this money for a 'possible internal fault in IPDM'.

Many thanks for any help!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget with having an import, that the battery terminals will not be the same size as UK/EU batteries. They have thinner posts. I had to fit post reducers over the battery terminals to step down to fit it to the Jap +ve & -ve clamps. You could change the leads but it is a bit of a faff with the +ve. Watch out for the CCA rating on the replacement battery, as some of the EU batteries are narrower to fit the zed's battery box and terminal posts, and therfore can have a lower CCA than the one you are getting rid of - you'll have a job starting in winter! I use a FISCH F068 with 550CCA and 70Ah from these guys http://www.countybatteryservices.co.uk/delivery and you may be able to get JDM thinner terminal posts fitted when they build it if you ask them.

Back to the ECU: I've not had any warning lights ever, but this auto electrics place in Derby did manage to kill off my JDM ECU when they were fitting the security devices, and it wouldn't start back up, though they sent the ECU away somewhere and fixed the problem after a week (a couple of years back): http://www.mobilesolutions.uk.com/services They might give you their contact, whoever the other company was.

• 1 month later...