Question for the few supercharged HR owners

deank93

Hi,

For the few HR owners that have gone the supercharged route (something i have been giving consideration to) i wanted to pose a couple of questions if i may.

What have you found to be the benefits?

What down sides have you found?

Having laid out for the conversion do you feel the conversion cost is out weighed by the benefits?

If you could do anything different what would it be and why? would you do it again or get yourself a newer 20k performance car rather than a 5 year old with a blower?

I'm trying to make the man-maths work in my head so hearing the thoughts of those that have made the investment would be helpful.

thanks in advance.

I can't speak for the Zed, but I have added an expensive forced induction modification to a previously NA car in the past. From that experience, I would say that unless you're intending to keep the car for a long time or really get a massive buzz from doing the work yourself, then you will always be better off just buying a quicker car in the first place. I did that eventually, but not before spunking a good few grand up the wall.

The man-math will never work, so it's a leap of faith into the deep for a passion. If you love the car, then do it. If you have any doubt, don't.

I do love the car, they way it handles (although I know to date I've not pushed it limits) and i love the way it looks....the only thing I'm not blown away with is the power and performance...my line of thinking is that given a boost of 150bhp it may be exactly the car I'm after...if i chapped it in 12 months from now for a 'better' car like a 370z, Z4M or VXR8 I'd only end up exactly where i am now which is looking at extracting more power and noise.

Hi mate.

I was in the same place as you six months ago.

Had my hr zed from new with 21k miles worth at best 10k! What do i do?

1.Leave the car as it is but crave more power.

2.Trade her in and throw 25k into a 3 year old GTR with mega running costs.

3.Spend 12k on my car fit a gtm kit and cheat the system!

As rightly said earlier you must want to keep the car long term to make the investment viable.

The downsides are only the obvious: more noise, lower MPG and you wont get your money back!

The upsides are:more noise,mind blowing performance,its still the same car you fell in love with

and much more expensive cars get smaller in the rear view mirror when you put your foot down!

Go and talk to Mark at Abbey Motorsport.

Well i have no plans to sell, although a weekend at brands hatch for the btcc has had me thinking of a clio/pug road legal track car, but 12k is a hefty investment, MPG doesn't matter as i don't pay for fuel and more noise would be great!....regarding more expensive cars getting smaller in the mirror what is the performance like? has anyone ever run one up the qtr mile or had a 0-100 timed, if the standard HR hits 100 in 13 seconds dead (according to evo magazine) i'm curious to know what a 500bhp HR would do it in.