AEM gauge problem?

evilscorp

Hi guys anyone with an AEM air/fuel gauge help me out. The unit does not seem to be getting power, have connected it up to the ground and power wires previously used for my in car screen (switched from 5amp fuse to 10amp as recomended,also tried 5amp original fuse), Tried reconnecting the screen to the cables and it powers up fine,

Only thing I could see as being a problem are; Gauge, supplied wires (two power and ground wires become merged as one, could be issue at this point) or power signal not clear enough for gauge?

Really gutted as I took ages with the wiring to the O2 sensor and expected to plug and play after! :rant:

MIne are fine - I have heard of problems though with "dirty" power so mine are fed at the ECU but I think the problem is more to do with the output to the ECU rather than the gauge not coming on! - have you tested them accross a battery to be sure they are OK and working?

MIne are fine - I have heard of problems though with "dirty" power so mine are fed at the ECU but I think the problem is more to do with the output to the ECU rather than the gauge not coming on! - have you tested them accross a battery to be sure they are OK and working?

Sorry I forgot to mention I am not using any of the outputs on the gauge so it really is just power and ground it should need? no I have not tried the the connections over a battery (I dont have a volt meter handy), could I attach the power and negative wire directly over the car battery without a fuse?

Edited by evilscorp

..................... could I attach the power and negative wire directly over the car battery without a fuse?

Yes just be careful, That's how I tested my AEM fuel gauge - I always test them first :)

I would have thought so - and the display should read 0 - did you have the sensor plugged in when you tested? Don't think you should need it but to be 100% sure I would plug it all together and then try it - I assume you checked the wiring diagram???

Edited by Keyser

I would have thought so - and the display should read 0 - did you have the sensor plugged in when you tested? Don't think you should need it but to be 100% sure I would plug it all together and then try it - I assume you checked the wiring diagram???

It was all plugged in when I first tried it then removed the sensor and just tried the power wires over the hyundi battery = still nothing.

Display showed 6pm position always.

Bit worried now as have been reading you shouldn't leave the sensor in the exhaust when its not plugged in as it has a heat element in it to burn off crap.

Means the car is immobile :rant:

I have the boost gauge also, might try it across the hyundi battery.

The wiring diagram mentions a blue wire (in my case it is grey) and there are brown and pink wires that are not mentioned??

RED <Power> Connect to a switched 10-18 volt power source utilizing a 10A fuse.

BLACK <Ground> Connect to a clean power ground.

*WHITE <Analog Output> Connects to any auxiliary unit that accepts a 0-5 volt input.

*BLUE <Serial Output> Connects to a RS-232 com port for hyper-terminal data logging

So you don't need white white and blue - this is from the 4 pin that came with it - the other cable should have the plug that goes into the sensor 6 pin that should all be pre wired.

Edited by Keyser

RED <Power> Connect to a switched 10-18 volt power source utilizing a 10A fuse.

BLACK <Ground> Connect to a clean power ground.

*WHITE <Analog Output> Connects to any auxiliary unit that accepts a 0-5 volt input.

*BLUE <Serial Output> Connects to a RS-232 com port for hyper-terminal data logging

So you don't need white white and blue - this is from the 4 pin that came with it - the other cable should have the plug that goes into the sensor 6 pin that should all be pre wired.

its not a 4 pin its an 8 pin ??? :wacko:

Thats whyim confused as there is also pink and brown wires!

2red,2black,1white,1blue/grey,1pink,1brown!

the two reds are joined into one about an inch after the connector same as black = must be power for the gauge and sensor

all other wires are not in use.

Sorry mate - different model :)

MUHAAAAAAA

Problem solved :)

Try putting a 12v (5amp fuse supply) into the pink while the red is on 12v (5 amp fuse supply) its the ignition power should light up then :thumbs:

To test - put black on the negative of the battery then pink and red on the positive.

More info -

RED - Connect BOTH RED wires to a constant 12 volt power source utilizing a 5A fuse.

BLACK – Connect BOTH BLACK wires to a clean power ground.

PINK - Connect to a switched 12 volt power source utilizing a 5A fuse.

GREY - Connect to instrument lighting circuit supply voltage.

*WHITE - Connect to Lambda + Input.

*BROWN - Connect to Lambda – input. (Must be connected if Lambda + is used)

*optional – only needed if using the available differential analog output

Sorry mate - different model :)

MUHAAAAAAA

Problem solved :)

Try putting a 12v (5amp fuse supply) into the pink while the red is on 12v (5 amp fuse supply) its the ignition power should light up then :thumbs:

To test - put black on the negative of the battery then pink and red on the positive.

More info -

RED - Connect BOTH RED wires to a constant 12 volt power source utilizing a 5A fuse.

BLACK – Connect BOTH BLACK wires to a clean power ground.

PINK - Connect to a switched 12 volt power source utilizing a 5A fuse.

GREY - Connect to instrument lighting circuit supply voltage.

*WHITE - Connect to Lambda + Input.

*BROWN - Connect to Lambda – input. (Must be connected if Lambda + is used)

*optional – only needed if using the available differential analog output

Would have been nice if they had given me those instructions! Think I had the same ones you gave me originally.

Where did you get these from?

wonder why you need so many power wires?? going to have to hunt for another 5amp fuse and splice in the grey to something lol

Can you pick the lights up from the stereo ????

Unfortunately its an aftermarket stereo so will have to borrow a multi meter to figure out which power wire is live only when the lights are on :dry:

Also looks like I will have to run a live wire direct from the battery to the gauge as I presume the power wire I was using is ignition operated (used to be a camera screen) and I need a new 5amp fuse and carrier(where's the best place to get one as I would prefer to keep using car fuses.)

Just reading the instructions now, looks like I wont need that cable all the way from the battery :)

Edited by evilscorp