Helicopter ditching

MrsNiki

Not sure how many offshore types are on here, but i for one am not liking the news about the helicopter ditching. The AAIB have released a bulletin with initial findings, identical issues to the last ditching. Its bought it home a bit more as i fly with CHC, the owner of this helicopter, and have flown on their EC225's, i may have even flown on that chopper.... My hat comes off to the pilots though, another safe ditching... I wonder what will come out of the investigation this time? Any opinions?

Yup as you know I work offshore from time to time, but its mostly my guys who go out and do the composite repairs and they are sh!tting themselves (naturally) as they are going out next week for a 2 week stunt.

Its just pure odds with the number of flying hours that get done. And helis aren't very good at gliding of course!

That's the key. Rotary wing aircraft are so much less stable than fixed wing. Doesn't even have to be a full on engine failure or anything like that, its just so much harder to recover from anything going wrong because they have the inherent aerodynamic properties of a brick. They'll always be less safe than fixed wing, but given that the only real alternative in these situations is a boat, you're better off in the aircraft.

DB

I think I'll take up open water swimming just in case! The helicopter steering group had an emergency meeting today, wonder what'll come out of that. Appreciate that if you take into account the flying hours, it is still safer than driving, but its still not a nice thought....

Autorotation :) Dump the throttle and pull as much pitch as you can, then bleed it off like a madman in the last foot or so. Obviously a little easier to do with my Raptor 60 than in a full size, but same principle. Well done airmen, we salute you!

There have been two controlled ditchings due to the gearbox lube system, this was also the cause of the 'biggie' too.

The pilots are taking no sh't and putting it down when they see this issue. It's terrifying but they are approaching it the correct way.

The maintenance crews are doing their best on the beach, I know the ex chief maintenance guy from bond took the issue in the biggie seriously and personally. So seriously and personally that the stress killed him... Literally dropped down dead due to it.

Super pumas are ageing badly now, I started flying a bit on S92s before I stopped going into the field and they were far superior.

Yeah Marathon have now changed the contract so that we fly S92's as of next year, although this was decided before this ditching...

The pilots are spot on in these situations, they cannot be praised enough. It'd be good to see all the helicopters being upgraded to S92's or something, but its a costly process I imagine!