DVLA - Unlicensed

downhuman

Hi there

Picking up my Zed on Tuesday - checking the DVLA search on the reg it is showing:

Vehicle enquiry

The enquiry is complete.The vehicle details for BLAH BLAH are: Date of Liability 01 07 2012 Date of First Registration 23 05 2007 Year of Manufacture 2007 Cylinder Capacity (cc) 3498cc CO2 Emissions 280g/Km Fuel Type PETROL Export Marker N Vehicle Status Unlicensed Vehicle Colour BLACK Vehicle Type Approval M1 Vehicle Excise Duty rate for vehicle 6 Months Rate £261.25 12 Months Rate £475.00

Does that mean it isn't taxed? Does that matter to me as a buyer?

Thanks

Rob

So as I'm buying it - if I test drove it and got pulled over (prior to buying it) - the existing owner would 'get done'

If I choose to buy it - walk immediately to the post office with insurance cover note, mot and V5 new owner supplement - tax it, drive away, then I'm OK?

I understand if you don't SORN it now it is illegal - but presumably for the owner, not me?

Cheers

Rob

If you're driving, then you must make sure the vehicle is taxed. The RK can be done as well, so you'd both be in poo avenue. The vehicle should be SORN'd if not taxed, but that is up to the RK.

Post office route is one way, as is taxing online.

I think some dealers often keep used vehicles on the forecourt untaxed and can legally drive them with temporary license plates - I've seen that first hand on a number of test drives. Not sure if they were declared SORN though. In any case, probably not relevant if you're buying privately.

Edited by zDan

I understand if you don't SORN it now it is illegal -

Rob

If you don't SORN it you now get an automatic fine, seeing as the tax ran out 3 months ago I'm guessing the owner has in fact SORN'ed it. You used to have to fill in a form but presumably you can do it on line these days?

Pete

If you don't SORN it you now get an automatic fine, seeing as the tax ran out 3 months ago I'm guessing the owner has in fact SORN'ed it. You used to have to fill in a form but presumably you can do it on line these days?

We sorned ours online and it sends you an E mail reminder

Pete