Rusty or what

4RE Leather

The story so far.

Today I made some alterations to the stock so it could take an uprated trigger guard.

The one on the rifle was a nasty plastic thing.

The replacement a black one of Alloy construction.

2 min job with the dremel and some woodstain and job done:)

DSCF0381.jpg

Pre stain

DSCF0382.jpg

The next job was the barrel blueing.

For this I used a Jell from makers Bisley

A highly toxic dangerous product that um well a kid can get hold of it over the counter or online!!!

DSCF0383.jpg

1st wipe down the metal with sovent or white spirit.

Then I used a soft brush and you just dip it in the pot (Gloves are a must) and dab it on.

let it dry for approx 30-40 secs then wash off with cold water.

I use a cotton wool ball and let the cold tap run over the item.

DSCF0384.jpg

Repeat the above 3-4 times until your sure that the area is fully treated and will not take any more blueing.

After the treatment wipe dry and apply 3-1 or Gun oil to the whole area and buff up to a shine.

You will have to repeat the oiling several times especially after the build until a deep luster is achieved:)

I am now repeating the process on all the externals like barrel and sping housing/ lever and sights.

This is the barrel after the 1st coat of oil.

Certainly different from the rusty one of 2 weeks ago!!

DSCF0385.jpg

Edited by 4RE Leather

To give those who dont know an insight intoAir Rifle mainsprings and there power, here are a few I have obtained;

AirRiflemainsprings.jpg

The max legal limit in UK is 12 ft lbs or 12 foot pounds of kinetic energy.

Top one is the original i took out of the Diana G80 restore project and is approx 9ft lbs

2nd is a 12 ft lbs legal limit for none FAC or Fire Arms certificate Holder

This is the original factory from my HW97 in picture in thread.

3rd one is a OX spring accelerator and is approx 17-20 ft lbs and is the one I hope to use

as it is smaller diameter and a direct replacement for the G80.

Notice the spring has square coils not round! This makes for a much stronger compression

and is up to 40% stronger than a factory fitted round one!

4th was the one I wanted to use but would not fit as to fat. Again 17-20 ft lbs

5th Is for a Webley Patriot and my 1st FAC rifle. Approx 32 ft lbs of energy.

I believe the rating for this is comparable to a small car if not more but I will out of interest get the figures.

I might see if I can get this in the HW97 without having to take a couple of coils out.

Incidently they make a power spacer in all sizes as well.

These are like a fat washer the width of 1 coil.

They are inserted 1st into the piston chamber prior to the spring and eash one can put up to 1-2 ft lbs increase.

You may wonder how I intend to compress the spring to get it in the chamber.

Well a shop bought compressor can cost upwards of £150-£200 and i am not paying that!

so I intend to make one using a G clamp or a Sash clamp over the weekend for about £50.

Edited by 4RE Leather

Things have ground to a halt at the moment as I need to get this leather piston seal washer sorted out.

I have found a shop that sells everything I need down in Bognor.

I went to get in the car this morning to go down there and as soon as I sat in the seat the Sciatica said to me.

You aint going no where!!

So back to bed Arrrrhhh

The shop cant send it to me as I need to take the piston down to get it matched up.

Aparently there were several diferent ones.

If I dont get it right 1st time I will have to dismantle it and damage the piston guide and backing plate that also need to be replaced.

I can actually buy a 2nd hand rifle for half of what this is costing to do up, but where is the fun in that!

And as soon as this is done I will do another one.

I am already looking at a turn of the century BSA and a 60 year old pistol.#

I wont use wood stain and varnish on the next one but go down the more traditional route of using a red stain that comes from a plant root,

Before the stain you use a grain filler and sealer. Then its polished over a week with a special oil.

I did the Lee Enfield in it and it looks awsome.

Edited by 4RE Leather