10" sub replacement for the BOSE sub?

Wasso

I've been thinking about upgrading the BOSE hardware for a while now, and from my past history when I was a young whippersnapper I once ran 2 8" subs isobaric stored in the boot of my car.

I was wondering if it would be possible to fit 'maybe' 2 10's isobaric where the BOSE sub currently lives and rip out the entire system whilst I'm at it.

I'm not sure 2 8's would suffice in that area and wondered if with a squeeze two 10's would fit?

If they won't fit then I may have a bash with the 8's.

Also any recommendations with preference with sub and amp brands to suit such a setup?

I've always had a passion to try Boston Acoustics.....

My music preference diversifies from chill out to techno, but pretty much the norm being funky house.

All opinions welcome (but not on my musical taste :lol: )

I've been thinking about upgrading the BOSE hardware for a while now, and from my past history when I was a young whippersnapper I once ran 2 8" subs isobaric stored in the boot of my car.

I was wondering if it would be possible to fit 'maybe' 2 10's isobaric where the BOSE sub currently lives and rip out the entire system whilst I'm at it.

I'm not sure 2 8's would suffice in that area and wondered if with a squeeze two 10's would fit?

If they won't fit then I may have a bash with the 8's.

Also any recommendations with preference with sub and amp brands to suit such a setup?

I've always had a passion to try Boston Acoustics.....

My music preference diversifies from chill out to techno, but pretty much the norm being funky house.

All opinions welcome (but not on my musical taste :lol: )

TFFT I had no idea what you were talking about :dance:

Trouble with fitting anything where the bose sub is that you will get rattle and vibration unless you spend a lot of time and money, thats why I got the sub I did :thumbs:

15 minute install and removable too, and you know how it sounds :band:

No Dave. How does it sound. Pictures install and price please?

This will teach you to be up 1st posting :):)~~~

:boxing:

The reason for isobaric is that you need half the air volume to perform the task.

Example 1 x 10" require 2cft, running 2 in a isobaric format I only need 1cft.

Therefore the 10" or 8" depending on what will fit isn't compromised. The bass will also be cleaner running isobaric, with lower hz handling.

The rattling isn't an issue, I'll fix that, I know how to strip the back section in less than 10 mins. Them to provide sound proofing and refit shouldn't be an issue.

What I don't want is a mass of space used in my car which I would otherwise use. I like your setup

Dave but I use my boot and don't really want to have to compromise with having to lift the sub in and out based on my boot contents.

Budget just on the sub section including amp will be about £600-800. As mentioned I'd really like to try the Boston Subs, they've been around for a long time and never ward a bad word.

At the end of the day I want a quality sound, which is why I want to go isobaric, having a more controlled bass.

On a seriouse side I was thinking of just swaping the amp over for something with a bit more ummph and ipgrading the speakers.

Quite happy to leave the head unit alone unless it is caput were the blue tooth is concerned.

B)

Would be a waste of money upgrading the amp and not the HU or speakers Pete

Is it really worth worrying about the factory BT? Yes you lose the steering wheel function but all I need to do to answer a call is press a button on the touchscreen? I could understand if you were a rep travelling 1,000s of miles a week but do you really get that many calls on the move :shrug:

HU change, then speakers and amp :thumbs:

On a seriouse side I was thinking of just swaping the amp over for something with a bit more ummph and ipgrading the speakers.

Quite happy to leave the head unit alone unless it is caput were the blue tooth is concerned.

B)

Is it really worth worrying about the factory BT? Yes you lose the steering wheel function but all I need to do to answer a call is press a button on the touchscreen? I could understand if you were a rep travelling 1,000s of miles a week but do you really get that many calls on the move :shrug:

Yes:)

B)

There's a thread somewhere on My350 saying they've had good results from just changing the speakers (maybe the amp as well, can't remember). I may be tempted to do that at some point as I can't stand after market HU fitments, they never look OEM enough.

B)

There's a thread somewhere on My350 saying they've had good results from just changing the speakers (maybe the amp as well, can't remember). I may be tempted to do that at some point as I can't stand after market HU fitments, they never look OEM enough.

Yeah you can get a better sound from changing speakers or speakers and amp certainly :thumbs:

Cheapest option would be a nice pair of comp speakers for the doors and turn down the rears or of course change all 4 :thumbs:

Takes 30 seconds to remove if I ever needed to, which I haven't :shrug:

Are you planning on replacing the rest of the Bose speakers and amps?

Peter have yo tried searching :stir: and i'm not up early i'm up late :yawn:

Agreed but then when I utilise the boot, it has to come out then I have no bass. Then say for instance I take a trip round Europe, the boot will be full and again no sound. I really don't want to compromise storage which is why I put all my NOS in the passenger cubby. It means the rest of the car isn't compromised. Still I like your system and it works well for your requirements.

Yes I want to replace all components.  I'm thinking these for the full system.

Sub(s) (10' or 8' based on size availability)

Boston_Acoustics_G310-44.jpg

Power Handling

375W RMS

General Features

2-3/4 inches of peak-to-peak excursion

2-1/2" 4-layer voice-coil

Radialvent cooling, for increased power handling

SureSet impedance selection and overdrive protection

Multiple enclosures types and tuning options available

Integral sealing gaskets simplify both standard and inverted mounting

General Specifications

Mounting Cutout Diameter: 9-1/4" (235mm)

Mounting Depth: 6-3/8" (166mm)

Linear Excursion: 2-3/4 inches

Recommended Enclosure: Sealed: 0.5cu ft - Ported: 1.3cu ft w/ 3" x 11" Port

Amp to drive both in a isobaric format.

400725144_o.jpg

Features

Power Handling:

300W RMS x 2@ 4-Ohms

500W RMS x 2@ 2-Ohms

1000W RMS x 1 [bridged] @ 4-Ohms

1400W RMS x 1 [bridged] @ 2-Ohms

General Features:

Remote bass level input (GT-RSL remote level control sold separately)

Red LED power badge and orange protect indicator

2/1 channel operation

Adjustable mounting feet (mounting feet move along rails to allow the easiest installation)

Fully computer-controlled diagnostics system (continuously monitors amplifier in case of thermal overload, short circuits, or over voltage)

Q-Tuneâ„¢ technology combines sophisticated crossover adjustments with Q-Control settings to seamlessly transition rear bass to the front sound stage

Uses a 100 amp ANL fuse

Heavy duty fan cooled aluminum alloy heatsink

Gold-plated RCA level inputs

Gold-plated screw terminals

Variable high-pass filter (20-350 Hz, 12 dB/octave)

Variable low-pass filter (50-350 Hz, 12 or 24 dB/octave)

Signal Voltage Input (200mV-8V)

Frequency response: 10-95,000 Hz

Dimensions: 22-1/4"L x 9"W x 2-3/8"H

1/0-gauge power and ground wiring is required for installation

Component front

BostonAcoustics_SR60.jpg

Power Handling

85W RMS

250W Max

General Specifications

Nominal Impedance: 4 ohm

Frequency Response: 45Hz-20kHz

Sensitivity [1 watt (2.83v) at 1m]: 90dB

Mounting Depth: 2-3/8" (67.0mm)

System Type: 2-way

General Features

6-1/2" copolymer cone woofer with TwinStage heatsink

Woofer's neodymium motor structure offers extraordinary power-to-weight ratio

VariMount adaptor rings enable the SR60 woofer to fit into virtually any factory 6-1/2-inch location.

Type-S1 1" Kortec dome tweeters

Quick-fit mounting cup simplifies tweeter installation

Separable and dockable model-specific crossovers

Rear coaxial

L_SR65.jpg

Power Handling

75W RMS

200W Max

General Specifications

Nominal Impedance: 4 ohm

Frequency Response: 50Hz-20kHz

Sensitivity [1 watt (2.83v) at 1m]: 90dB

Mounting Depth: 2-7/16" (62.0mm)

System Type: 2-way

General Features

6-1/2" copolymer cone woofer with butyl rubber surround

Woofer's neodymium motor structure offers extraordinary power-to-weight ratio

1" Kortec dome tweeters

Contoured tweeter plane greatly improves on- and off-axis tweeter response

Model Specific integrated muti-element crossovers

VariMount adaptor rings enable the SR65 woofer to fit into virtually any factory 6-1/2 inch location.

Amp to run components and coaxial.

boston_acoustics_gt-4100-2.jpg

Power Handling:

85W RMS x 4 @ 4-Ohms

100W RMS x 4 @ 4-Ohms

150W RMS x 4 @ 2-Ohms

225W RMS x 4 @ 1-Ohm

300W RMS x 2 [bridged] @ 4-Ohms

450W RMS x 2 [bridged] @ 2-Ohms

General Features:

DualMode High-current, high-power design for 4 channel or 2 channel

Q-Tune technology combines sophisticated crossover adjustments with Q-Control settings to seamlessly transition rear bass to the front sound stage

High efficiency and output stages delivering increased power into lower impedance and maximum dynamics and transient response

Security cover protects control settings

LED power and protection indicator

Aluminum alloy heatsink

Gold-plated RCA and screw terminals

Advanced fan cooling allows varied mounting positions

Fully Adjustable crossover highpass and lowpass crossover for exact integration of speakers and subwoofers

Low-profile height 2 3/8"(61mm) allows installation in tight locations

Adjustable mounting feet for varied mounting surfaces

Optional remote bass control: compatible with GT-RSL remote (sold separately)

Input sensitivity control: 200mV to 8V

Frequency response: 10Hz - 95kHz

Q-Tune control: 0.707 to 1.6

Dimensions(WxHxD): 22-1/4" x 2-3/8" x 9"

Nice.... I have thought about mounting the amp under the boot carpet, wouldn't take much maybe a bit of cutting the polystyrene block things....

I would personally sort the other speakers and amp first, if you get decent ones you might not even want/need more bass....

I made do with the bose sub for quite a while....

Nice.... I have thought about mounting the amp under the boot carpet, wouldn't take much maybe a bit of cutting the polystyrene block things....

I would personally sort the other speakers and amp first, if you get decent ones you might not even want/need more bass....

I made do with the bose sub for quite a while....

That would be a good idea to maybe sink it in your boot, maybe with a overlay so that you could cover it for when transporting bondage gear and the like.

Fair point about changing the speakers before sub, but for me the whole system needs changing. The bass with the BOSE has no real quality, same goes with the rest of the setup.

Just need to know now if two 10's would fit in the BOSE sub location or two 8's

I have plenty of room in the other cubby to fit the two amps, especially at 22" long :teeth: