Annoying rattle at 3k

The Chubby Ninja

Ive got a very annoying rattle sound when the revs are coming back down. I thought it was the y pipe so upgraded it to a new better one but the noise was still there. I then convinced myself it was coming from the centre silencer so forked out and bought a k1 system and decats and the noise is still there :bang: . It sounds a bit like a heatshield but ive had it up on the ramps and none of the heatshields seem to be rattling. Can anyone help me on this as im at my witts end here

i have the same thing mate, i am 90% sure it's the decats, im sure someone else will be along shortly to confirm. I am running the same set up with K1 and japspeed Y pipe, i even removed the heat shield from where the stock exhaust is, seems the rattle only happens 2-3k and only with Decats. It drive me nuts :bang:

Why would the decats rattle though? strangely i only noticed the rattle not long after fitting the decats. They were the unsilenced japspeed ones with the support brackets. After fitting the k1 it was far too loud so i bought and fitted the silenced decats to try and quieten the system a bit and the rattle is still there. I`ll try the heatshield above the backbox tomorrow but to be honest it sounds like its coming from the middle to front of the car. im 720 quid down and still no further on :bang::rant:

..... It sounds a bit like a heatshield but ive had it up on the ramps and none of the heatshields seem to be rattling. Can anyone help me on this as im at my witts end here

There's a heat shield above the rear box ... I didn't know it was there till it fell off ... I then ran with it off with no ill effects :thumbs:

Any exhaust part can rattle if you get resonance issues. Depending on what other exhaust parts are fitted you can create a situation where you get exhaust gas pulses at the harmonic frequency of a particular part of the exhaust which will cause it to vibrate. It's what causes some HFCs to 'rasp' over a short rev range, it's just a high frequency vibration caused by resonance. there's nothing in a de-cat to rattle though, so I'd guess it is hitting something.

DB

• 3 weeks later...

I was getting a rattly/tinkly sound at about 2/3k... turns out the ceramic in one of the O2 sensors after the cats had broken off and was rattling around in the casing... my fault as I was a bit rough trying to get it out my old ones to fit to my Berks! :doh: Actually only fixed it yesterday! Took the sensor out and chopped the end off while I wait for a replacement haha!

This is worth a check, should be easy to get them out if you copper greased em. Its was very obvious when I shook it in my hand.

In fact I would like to put my money on this after reading your first post again!

Edited by R-Face