Those pesky Japanese buttons

Andrew

Hi folks, have managed to get the Sat Nav working on an import using the same screen e.t.c. so it looks like the original Birdview system. One downside i still haven't worked out how to replace the Japanese button panel, without paying some £400 for a new one?

Very difficult part to source, if not impossible. Anyone come up with an ingenious solution to this? I have a couple of questions/points related to this:

Thought maybe putting new labels on the buttons, but the problem is you lose the light effect with you have lights on - can't see labels at night. Stupidly had them all beautifully made out before i realised this.:headhurt:

1) Looking at the Nissan Patrol, the buttons look very similar. Could be something there.

2) Are we able to buy things from a USA dealer? The dollar is so weak....

Quite irritating that the final piece to the puzzle can only seem to be solved by forking at some £400 when i replaced the reader and got new map discs for some £200. :rant:

Yeah - there is a trail on here somewhere if you dig, including pics. There was a chap Michael put some very useful pics up. If you are stuck let me know. Basically however, it is a doddle. Although, the hardest bit is that damn boot lining. Tough stuff, expect a few cuts. Try not to break it !

All you need is a new DVD reader. I got an xtrail one. I reckon, any reader where the front looks identical to your Jap one will work but i can't be sure. Slight game of chance. If u get a picture of the back of yours and a picture of the back of the one you want to buy. You won't have TV socket. Then basically you are going in from the boot and removing the hard plastic lining behind the speakers so you can get at the back of the unit. Disconnect (battery first!) and unscrew reader. My xtrail one had two brackets on either side but they unscrewed and the unit fitted perfectly.

You lose the TV cable connected into the Jap unit (tape it up). Other cables the same. Plug in, put your lining back in place.

I got a DVD player from a Primera. It was easy to replace from the front. 4 no. bracket screws/bolts were a bit fidly but not impossible to undo/replace.

Took about half an hour to pull out the old one and fit the replacement. Cost £54 off eBay and even had the latest sat nav disc still inside. :teeth:

I'm also looking for the replacement buttons, but no luck yet. Have attached a shot of a US control panel if it helps anyone.

I got a DVD player from a Primera. It was easy to replace from the front.

Are you saying that you didn't need to deal with the lining ? :thumbs: That would be excellent news as I really don't want to make a mess of mine :scare:

I got a DVD player from a Primera. It was easy to replace from the front.

Are you saying that you didn't need to deal with the lining ? :thumbs: That would be excellent news as I really don't want to make a mess of mine :scare:

1. Carefully lever the front plastc 'letterbox' cover off (the one behind the drivers seat).

2. Undo the 4 small side bolts (2 on each side) fitted to the support frame. A ratchet spanner or similar helps, as there is only enough space to get your fingers in.

3. Remove screws, being careful not to drop the back ones. They will disappear forever if you aren't careful.

4. Slide out the sat nav DVD player and undo the 4 cable blocks.

5. Throw the Jap sat nav in the bin. :teeth:

6. Connect two of the cable blocks back to the new sat nav DVD (the only ones that fit in the two openings). You can tape up the 2 redundant ones and tuck to the side.

7. Slide the unit back into the support bracket and put the bolts back in. Locating the 2 rear ones is difficult but possible (make sure no kids are around at this point as there will be lots of swearing).

8. Clip the front cover back on and you are away.

Took me about half an hour. :thumbs:

I wonder if you can order the buttons in the states?

One thing - that picture looks like the new 350z panel. the 03/04 variation

is slightly different, so depends what year car is.

Can i find a dealer in the US and make the order if it turns out to be worth it? Guess they will turn it down and refer me to UK dealer.

Sorry naivety in full flight here - can we not put some list together of everyone who needs the buttons. Then get some contact who could get the part - i got an offer from a chap in jap parts importing or suchlike with an offer of £350 + VAT or something. It was a bit less than a dealer.

If we have a mass order, could we cut the price.

I'd happily pay £200 to end the headache but Nissan after £400.

No chance.

Or is there another way? Are there any plastic manufacturers?! Give em

labels and jap buttons. Tell them same size please different labels.

You could try drilling a few very tiny pin sizeish symetrical holes in the buttons; then apply your new English stickers over the top. Assuming stickers are transparent type it could work if holes positioned carefully around writing. Or drill two tiny holes either side of sticker writing to allow enough light out??

That's a clever thought - thanks. It could be something like that that would do it. First off though, i don't think my stickers were a high enough standard.

I was wondering - you know those old plastic stickers you used to get with bevelled writing. Is it possible to get them done with a luminous text which would light up itself from the light from the screen....not sure.

Need to have another look at these buttons to understand how they sit better. The holes could work. Can't remember where the light underneath comes from

• 3 months later...