I.C.E Advice needed - Fibre Connected Head

thebesh

Hi Guys

I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice. I went and bought a Pioneer AVH 1400DVD, mainly becuase most of my music is on my phone, or in mp3 format. I also went and bought the necessary looms and facias to get the stereo fitted into the car (Porsche Cayenne Turbo 2005).

Put it into the local car stereo place to get fitted this morning. Hadn't heard anything by mid afternoon so I called them only for them to say they couldn't fit the stereo as there is fibre optic connections coming from the Bose amp. After this I called the Aberdeen Porsche garage to confirm this and they said pretty much the same thing.

When I collected car I asked if buying a 6 channel amp and replacing the Bose one would work - he asked me why I was wanting to do this and I explained that I wanted music from my iphone and he suggested trying to add a fancier Parrott hands free kit to play music. This isn't what I want and I just wanted some advice from a community I trust.

Any suggesstions welcome. The headunit only cost me 200 - so would rather get my money back for it if it looks like it's going to cost me a fortune to get it to work.

p.s - Although I love the practicality of the Cayenne it's NOWHERE near as fun as my zed - gone but not forgotten :drive1

Your problem is the MOST system, and how it integrates with the Bose amp in the Cayenne. There are ways round it, but none of them are cheap as a mate of mine is doing a similar conversion in his 997.1 with the Bose setup. Basically you'll need a connecting box that can take all the inputs and make them talk to each other, IIRC it's in the region of about £300 and you'll need to import it from the US.

This is the puppy I believe, probably works out around £300 when shipping + import taxes are taken into account.

Ooh, actually I think your link is the correct one, that's ringing bells looking at that.

That really is your only answer sadly, there's no easy way to sort a replacement head unit out in MOST Porsches sadly. Is it the PCM1 or 2 system you've got in your Cayenne?

PCM2 - really not happy about this - but I think I'll bite the bullet

Interestingly I smashed my passenger wing mirror (just the mirror) by mistake a couple of weeks ago. Long story short, there are quite a lot of Cayenne mirror options and just my luck it turns out my car has the fanciest of fancy auto dimming mirrors. Porsche garage = 400 notes and online = 300 - for JUST the glass bit. Even the dude at Porsche garage said it was extreme. I fitted a 20 quid ebay one, which works well, until you get some speed up and then it's vibration central. As much as I grudge 500 quid for adapter - it's still better than 300 for a f**king wing mirror!