Changing rotors and pads

garygttdi

Its years since I did any spannering, too old and spoilt these days for that sort of thing, however it occurs to me I could spend more on the brakes if I did the installation work myself. It would be on my drive so nothing exotic in terms of facilities. From memory the biggest if issue is getting the calliper bolts undone and then the screw that holds the rotor to the hub, is this correct or should I play safe and let the Garage do it. :wave:

Just make sure you clean up the hub properly and check the run out of the disks at the largest diameter with a DTI to prevent any future DTV issues.

Runout limits for front are 0.05mm or 2 thousandths of an inch.

Rears are 0.07mm or just under 3 thousandths of an inch.

DTV usually shows up after a few thousand miles.

Apart from that it's easy.

Wheels off, calipers off push pistons back can be done by hand just a bit fiddly with the 4 pots on the front. Tie caliper out of way so brake line isn't stretched. Remove disk, clean up hub. Fit new disk, measure runout with disk in all 5 positions put disk on in position with lowest run out. Bolt caliper back on wheels on job done.

Disks are held on by the wheels no little grub screw to slacken.

The caliper bolts as you mention could be very tight so have yourself handy a breaker bar.

Did mine on the drive also, saves paying extortionate prices for a garage to undertake.

Edit : whilst the wheels are off give them a good clean up and seal them with appropriate sealants to make future cleaning a breeze :thumbs:

I did all of my discs and pads last year. Took me a while,mainly because I faffed abit and the caliper bolts were abit of a pain. If you have an extendible wheel brace, I found if you cut the cap off the rubber handle, a rachet handle sits nicely in the there,so you have a breaker bar. :thumbs:

Makesure the caliper bolts are done up tight too,maybe put a small amount of weak thread locker (loctite or similar) on the treads. Its well worth the small amount of hassle though,as the sense of achievement is huge.