Jeep Commander Test Drive

Kev946

Our local Jeep dealer was offering 48 hour test drives of the new Jeep Commander so we had one this weekend. We aren't ready to change our Jeep Grand Cherokee yet but a least we have tested one of the options.

Styling very Hummer ish, but overall a pretty well built and nice to drive 4x4. Underneat it's based on the Grand Cherokee. Feels much bigger than it is due to the boxy shape, and the engine is a peach. A 3.0 litre Mercedes diesel with 220 hp. Exterior looks like a Defender, Interior a luxury motor and with a clever third row of seats.

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0191.jpg

DSC_0192.jpg

That is the most fugly piece of sh1t I've seen in a long time. Don't do it Kev!:wacko:

Not my choice, it's the missus and she loves it. Won't be until the end of the year at the earliest.

Tis a love it or hate it styling, and yes I know most in the UK will hate it as we are a conservative bunch. The dealer said Jeep UK aren't happy with the sales in the UK, but they are selling well in the US. The reviews praise it though and many have said it's the best Jeep yet and a very competent off roader. Provided you can live with the styling... :scare:

Guest prescience
I agree, also who cares what the outside looks like on an off roader?

Also, styling wish, it won't age as it's already "Old School".. :thumbs:

Who actually takes them off-road anyhow - cash point cripples on the kerb at Barclays I suppose :lol:

I agree, also who cares what the outside looks like on an off roader?

Also, styling wish, it won't age as it's already "Old School".. :thumbs:

Who actually takes them off-road anyhow - cash point cripples on the kerb at Barclays I suppose :lol:

We do... :thumbs:

Wife has horses. Try towing 2 heavy horses, (16h & 15.2h), through muddy fields, not to mention the weight on the roads.

get a pathfinder then (excuse the pun :lol: )

We've looked at the Pathfinder. They are shockingly badly built, like many of the current Nissan range, (350z excluded). We looked at a 06 reg on the forecourt and the interior was so shabby, e.g. stretched leather, that it looked older than our 04 Jeep... :thumbdown:

American cars get criticised for build quality, but our experience is that Jeeps are as good and often better than many Jap 4x4's.

get a pathfinder then (excuse the pun :lol: )

We've looked at the Pathfinder. They are shockingly badly built, like many of the current Nissan range, (350z excluded). We looked at a 06 reg on the forecourt and the interior was so shabby, e.g. stretched leather, that it looked older than our 04 Jeep... :thumbdown:

American cars get criticised for build quality, but our experience is that Jeeps are as good and often better than many Jap 4x4's.

Only faults I could level at the Jeep off road vehicles is the weak Diffs , I have had three Cherokee's and one Grand cherokee and they all suffered with diff whine to some degree or other, :dry: I always moved them on before a repair became necessary though :thumbs:

Not had any problems with diffs on ours.

We have had a gearbox problems. It developed a ver minor leak when we first had it, and I reckon it lost so much oil, it caused some damage. The gerabox is one of those sealed for life jobbies and apparently a o ring seal where the electrical sensors plug in hadn't been assembled correctly.

Basically, we've had 3 breakdowns in 2 years which isn't good, but the Jeep warranty and breakdown support has been excellent. We've now had the gearbox, ecu and gear level assembly all changed and these parts carry a 2 year warranty. The breakdowns occured as the gearbox went into safe mode, which means no drive...very handy.

Other than that the car has been fault free, not even a rattle. I'm putting the gearbox down to a one off.

The new Jeeps have far superior auto gearboxes, much smoother change, and the 3.0 V6 diesel is superb. Feels more like a V8.