Need help with engine check light .... again

JDM Performance

Ok guys, asking for some help here.

My engine check light has come on again. I know its probably the lambda sensor(s ) again cause I've not run the car for 4 months and started it today and it comes on after the second run of the engine.

But, I could really do with a way of checking my codes myself. I've tried 2 of the readers off eBay, tried the method to get the light to flash - and non of this has work.

Last time I gave up and took it to the stealer. They didnt have any problem checking the code and resetting the car so there MUST be a way of doing this. I just dont want to be running to the stealer every time this comes on.

Anyone have any ideas? Ideally I'm looking for a kind person to give me a copy of some software I can run on a laptop to diagnose this and reset.

Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

Is that the one where you depress pedals etc? Cause I have done that stuff the last time and it just doesnt work on my car - dunno why - maybe a JDM thing???

Chris

Yeah. It took me a few attempts to get it right but now i can do it with my eyes shut :teeth:

Doesnt the ECU reset if you disconnect the battery for 10minutes?

Tried that too last time and it came back on - at the moment I've just parked it up again without the battery connected cause it'll be a few months before its really ready to go back on the road... so we'll see what happens.

However, ideally I'd like to find out what has caused the problem incase its something more serious than just the usual over sensitive ECU...

Guest prescience
Is that the one where you depress pedals etc? Cause I have done that stuff the last time and it just doesnt work on my car - dunno why - maybe a JDM thing???

Chris

Yeah. It took me a few attempts to get it right but now i can do it with my eyes shut :teeth:

Doesnt the ECU reset if you disconnect the battery for 10minutes?

No

Funky, if you have done the reset pedalling and you still have a problem, then you have a problem.... like the fuse that keeps blowing, there is a reason :blush:

Welllllll that's what i thought last time, but when i took it to the stealer they said it was a lambda error, and they just checked the sensor, it was working fine, so they reset the ecu using their software and said to go away until it breaks.... and charged me for the pleasure.

Which made me think this might be the same again and so if i could check that it is the same thing by reading the code, then i could reset it myself.

Course i need a way of reading the code - can anyone help?

Chris

PS: Doing the pedal thing doesnt work on my car - and i have no idea why - and god knows I've tried and tried to get it to work....

Guest prescience

You can buy a reader off eBay for about £25. Do a search for OBD2 reader or scanner

With the pedalling thing, it is very important that you follow the text in red shown below - this is where most people trip up and its not clear from the original posts on other forums on this subject. I found it out by trial and error myself :thumbs:

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89

Good luck

Guest prescience

Sorry didn't read the first post carefully enough.

Is there any such software for the Z - outside of Nissan's stuff.

2 options spring to mind:

- find someone who has a GReddy infometer and get them to hook that up to your OBD port**

- find a tuner who is not a dealer who has the Nissan consult stuff. Perhaps TDI; although having said that, they'll charge you too :thumbdown:

** think Lew (Revsport) has one or had one?

Sorry didn't read the first post carefully enough.

Is there any such software for the Z - outside of Nissan's stuff.

2 options spring to mind:

- find someone who has a GReddy infometer and get them to hook that up to your OBD port**

- find a tuner who is not a dealer who has the Nissan consult stuff. Perhaps TDI; although having said that, they'll charge you too :thumbdown:

** think Lew (Revsport) has one or had one?

Aye I've got an Informeter on it just now - doesnt indicate that there is an error code.

Those companies are miles from us - we're up in Scotland. I'd be good to get the nissan software. It must be available somewhere. I can get the VAG software for nowt :-/

fair enough, there is definitely some difference between JDM and UK ECU's somehow. Hence why you can not get the piggybacks for Jap cars like the Nismo (which is a straight swap I think) and the Amuse one to work on a UK Zed. No idea what it is exactly though.

This is one of the drawbacks of Imports imo.