Rear pads gone!!

Fieldy

So I've just done a 1000 mile trans-europe trip from London to Bratislava (Slovakia) with some fun on the autobahns :D, pulled in to my mother in laws house and noticed a scraping noise from the brakes. Was a little concerned as I only changed the pads last year ~8k-10k.

Anyway went down to the garage today and up on the ramp, pulled the pads out and one of the drivers side rear pads was down to the backing plate. What I cant work out is

1. The rear pads had gone rather the front. I had (I believe) all four sets changed last year so surely the fronts should have gone 1st. I now have a sneaking suspicion, the stealer only changed the front pads :shrug:

2. Only the inside pad was worn fully down, the outside pad still had plenty of material left and as such the steel indicator was nowhere near the disc.

Anyway just waiting for a set of Ferodo DS performance pads to arrive and we shall be back on the road. Thankfully the discs have not been damaged. Croatia next week before heading back to England :drive1:drive1:drive1

Having the inside pad wear before the outside pad is actually pretty common. I see it all the times on cars I change the pads on. Its usually because the caliper isnt sliding on the rails properly - its full of rust and brake dust etc. So the inside pad is doing more "work" than the outside pad. A good clean up and a spot of lube (make sure you dont get it on the pads or disc) helps.

It is very strange though that the rear pads have worn before the front. I wonder if like you say, the dealer only changed the front ones.

Make sure that the pad with the wear indicator is fitted to the inside pad next time if you get that opportunity, however the DS2500 does not have a wear indicator fitted so you will have to keep an eye on the inside pad. ;)

Alex :)

Having the inside pad wear before the outside pad is actually pretty common. I see it all the times on cars I change the pads on. Its usually because the caliper isnt sliding on the rails properly - its full of rust and brake dust etc. So the inside pad is doing more "work" than the outside pad. A good clean up and a spot of lube (make sure you dont get it on the pads or disc) helps.

It is very strange though that the rear pads have worn before the front. I wonder if like you say, the dealer only changed the front ones.

Changed the rears on mine about 4 weeks ago,had exactly the same problem,inside pad worn to metal.As regarding sliding caliper arent the Zed on twin pot pistons that should both excert the same pressure onto disc?

So I did some digging through my old receipts, and found that I actually only changed the fronts last year. So it was just me being completely forgetful and yeah the rears were probably due for replacement, although it didnt get picked up in the dealer service I got a couple of weeks back. Guess because they just looked at the indicator with the wheel still on.

Anyway DS Performance going on as they are road legal compared to the DS2500's, not sure if they have a wear indicator though. I'll probably post again with my labour cost tomorrow just to make you guys cry with how cheap it is here :)

In the UK I would do it myself, over her I just spent 18 EUR's on getting all four checked and the rears replaced. Not even worth the time spent thinking about doing it myself :yahoo:

Next time I come I may buy a load of stuff to fit just to take advantage :D:D:D

Anyway all is good now so next stop Croatia