Nexus 7

wizard

Reading up on it a bit...

It would be perfect to put in the cubby as it has built in gps (most 7" tabs don't) bluetooth etc but the home screen is portrait only (need to root & hack to sort) and it has no sd card slot, it has micro usb but probably not mountable again unless rooted :thumbsdown:

Shame as it looked so promising.....

I pre-ordered mine!

Calm down Spurs, it's amazing!! When does the ipad have expandable memory?

It's an amazing device, out next week. I cannot wait to get mine!! :D

For the price I agree it's amazing but how much would have it cost to put a micro USB slot on somewhere :shrug:

As I said a shame because it almost ticked all the boxes but not quite :thumbsdown:

Ive just ordered one. If you ordered online they were all shipped out on the 12th, so a lot of people already have them.

The lack of a microsd card is the biggest complaint. I can see why they did it, as they are trying to encourage people to stream content instead of store it locally. These days you can get skydrive, google drive, drop box and all the others. Fine, if you have an internet connection, but personally i prefer to keep my content locally, hense my galaxy s2 has nearly 50gb of storage space on it.

Im planning to use mine to give me a bigger gps screen over the one on my galaxy s2 which I currently use every day for satnav. I can tether the nexus 7 to my phone`s internet connection, and get online that way - saves forking out x amount a month for a 3g tablet.

Outside of that im looking forward to it. Many of the reviews I read by people who have ipads are raving about how good the nexus 7 is and saying that whilst Apple have always said they wouldnt do a 7" tablet, they have got to now as the 7" market seems to be the one people want.

Anyone brought this?

I can't wait to get mine!! :yahoo:

To where would they bring it?

???????

Its a pet peve.

Brought = having concluded bringing something.

Bought = having concluded buying something.

Yes you're quite WRITE! :lol:

Ive just ordered one. If you ordered online they were all shipped out on the 12th, so a lot of people already have them.

Huh? Really?!

Where the hell is mine then?! i ordered on the 28th June. :rant:

Yeah a lot of complaints online about googles delivery. If you order from their website it says 1->2 weeks delivery, but on ebuyer.com a lot of people got theirs on the 13th as they had a batch they could send out.

Now ebuyer are showing out of stock, but pcworld are claiming they have them in stock and should be delivering mine within next 3 days. They could have delivered it "next day" but I didnt fancy forking out an extra £3.95 for that. Whether or not it will actually show up i`ll see.

Just been reading some of the benchmarking tests and it actually beats the ipad3 in some areas and isnt far off it in others.

Well had mine a couple of days now and have to say im very impressed with it. The OS is just so smooth and fast. Very nice. The OS is slightly different to ICS on my S2, but very similar to the CM9 Cyanogenmod OS im running on my other S2.

The screen is very very sharp and easily as good to my eye as the ipad3 we have at home.

Ive been busy with work so still havent had time to play fully with the nexus, but setting my s2 to "create wifi hotspot" I was instantly able to tether it to my phone to get 3g internet access on the move if there isnt a wifi hotspot nearby. Will report more after the w/end as hopefully i`ll get some more spare time then!

EDIT: Well, got home and google must already sync your device settings with their cloud as without me doing anything the nexus already knew what my wifi was called and what the password was - automatically connecting perfectly. I could easily browse my home network and stream all my media from my media server straight to the nexus out of the box. We are still trying to get that to work on our ipad3! The screen is great as an e-reader. I just copied various .mobi format books I had to the Kindle directory and could view them fine. The Chrome browser on it seems faster than on my s2, but because chrome syncs, all my bookmarks appeared straight away. I was very impressed with the keypad on the nexus, it seems very accurate and easy to use. Very very few wrong key presses - unlike on earlier android keyboards.

Using the device as a satnav in the car works well, although can be very distracting if you get something like a facebook alert popup as you find yourself tempted to start checking them or emails as they come in.

The only thing im not impressed with is the sound quality from the built in speakers. It is shocking. Through headphones its brilliant, but the built in speaker... terrible. It maybe that I havent put the settings correct as it looks like there are different settings, base boost, equalisers etc.. which you can configure for various profiles etc.. Will have play later.

All in all, for money this is a bargain.

I must say that I am tempted by one of these, but will probably end up getting the Sammy Tab 2. The lack of expandable memory is a real issue. I have a 16GB iPhone and it isn't enough for my music and apps. At home it wouldn't be a problem as I can stream to it, but if I take it out (Zed cubby), then I'm limited to what I can take... and I can never be bothered moving songs around etc.

It's a shame Asus didn't add a slot, but then they would have destroyed the market for their own Transformer... Maybe it'll be worth hacking as I'm sure someone will be trying to exploit the micro USB slot (If not done so already).

What app are you using to stream video from your server?

I downloaded "ES file browser" - its free. Its a bit like windows explorer really - you just browse to wherever you want on your local network - you can set favourites. Just clicking on any file and it will automatically play it through whatever app you want - stock or otherwise. I use MX player for video, winamp for sound etc.

I only have my media server set up really just as a file storage location, but if I had the time you can set it up to be a proper media server, which would then allow me to use any internet brower to stream / view content on it.

I must say that I am tempted by one of these, but will probably end up getting the Sammy Tab 2. The lack of expandable memory is a real issue. I have a 16GB iPhone and it isn't enough for my music and apps. At home it wouldn't be a problem as I can stream to it, but if I take it out (Zed cubby), then I'm limited to what I can take... and I can never be bothered moving songs around etc.

It's a shame Asus didn't add a slot, but then they would have destroyed the market for their own Transformer... Maybe it'll be worth hacking as I'm sure someone will be trying to exploit the micro USB slot (If not done so already).

Ah... see, i was going to go for the sammy tab 2 for the same reason, even though the performance specs of the nexus 7 blow it away.

Theres several ways around this.

a) google want everyone to store there stuff in the "cloud" and stream it to the device. This works very well for some people, but others (like myself used to), like to keep stuff local on the device.

B) I have 50gb storage on my s2 mobile phone which is always in my pocket and thats more than enough, i could use that to store my media on and stream to the nexus 7 when away from home. This isnt an option for you if you have an iphone however.

c) You can get mini usb to normal usb adapter and plug USB stick or hard drive into the nexus 7 if you want extra storage. Theres a free app to allow it to map external drives. I think you just need to root it (to give you admin access) to allow this - something which takes litterally a couple of minutes.

d) When I had mobile phones (i always use mine to play music from) with smaller capacity like 16gb, I used to just copy a particular play list over and listen to that for a few months, then change it out. But, not an option for you if you dont want the hassle. Id go for option c)

Theres several ways around this.

a) google want everyone to store there stuff in the "cloud" and stream it to the device. This works very well for some people, but others (like myself used to), like to keep stuff local on the device.

B) I have 50gb storage on my s2 mobile phone which is always in my pocket and thats more than enough, i could use that to store my media on and stream to the nexus 7 when away from home. This isnt an option for you if you have an iphone however.

c) You can get mini usb to normal usb adapter and plug USB stick or hard drive into the nexus 7 if you want extra storage. Theres a free app to allow it to map external drives. I think you just need to root it (to give you admin access) to allow this - something which takes litterally a couple of minutes.

d) When I had mobile phones (i always use mine to play music from) with smaller capacity like 16gb, I used to just copy a particular play list over and listen to that for a few months, then change it out. But, not an option for you if you dont want the hassle. Id go for option c)

Undeniably, the Nexus is a lovely bit of kit. My mate brought his in to work today and it's fantastic.

It just seems a bit of a faff surrounding the lack of storage. Cloud only works if you have a decent WiFi connection, which would say be my house... I don't need cloud storage there as I have a PC and NAS. Anywhere else is reliant on a WiFi or 3G connection which is limited and expensive...

Take an example of a flight to America. I want to watch a few films there and back and listen to some music. No WiFi or 3G, so cloud is not an option. The device is not big enough to store all I want to take... If I use an external drive, how do I power the device as the USB port is occupied and I don't have enough charge? With the Galaxy Tab 2 I can take as many additional SD Cards as I want and I can charge at the same time.

I'd honestly rather have a lower spec device that does everything I need. Why should you have to compromise or muck around to get something to work the way you want it.

This isn't designed as a Nexus 7 bash, as it is a fantastic device, just too limited storage wise, but then they had to make it have some limitations for the price.