PAYE & Tax codes

HaydnH

Hi All,

I recently contacted HMRC as I'm in the upper tax bracket and believe I'm entitled to a tax refund on my pension contributions. Basically I was informed by my HR department that I was entitled and also some of my colleagues claim their tax back for pension contributions. In response the tax office asked for a copy of my P11D which I don't quite understand as that has nothing to do with pension payments, although I provided it anyway. After that I received 2 letters from HMRC, 1 stating I'd paid the correct amount of tax and another letter stating that my tax code has changed from 756L to 753L because they "believe you are currently between jobs so we have estimated your tax code based on your personal circumstances".

I've been employed by the same company for the last 4+ years, how on earth could they suddenly think I'm "between jobs" - have I just been given a numpty at HMRC? Has anyone else had similar problems?

Haydn.