Paint quote quick question

14N

Hi All,

I have a paint quote quick question (+ some alliteration)! :lol:

I've recently bought a Nismo style front lip splitter (cheers Tarmac) and after an epic fail at trying to wrap it, I'm looking to get it painted GM to match my car.

What kind of ball park figure can I be expecting to pay? Is there anything I should/should not be asking for, given the location of the splitter (i.e. being prone to stone chips etc)? Is there a harder or more durable type of paint?

Any suggestions you can make to keep costs low? I've considered giving it a go myself with some aerosols.

Cheers guys :thumbs:

a whole front bumper would cost about £300 to spray, so a lip would probably be about £100 - £150 if you have the sides as well then probably another £150 per side, and about £80 for the rear spats.

no special paint for low areas like that, but you can get a clear wrap put on like armourfend to protect ti if your worried.

as for spraying yourself i'd advise against it, as spray can paint isn't baked and is not as hard wearing as 2K paint which is baked.

What colour were you trying to wrap it? If you were going for a contrasting black, then why not buy a can or two of Plastidip and do it yourself? It's pretty idiot proof for DIY and if you went for 4-5 coats it should hold up as well as paint to stones etc.

Thanks for the info RT, appreciated :thumbs:

Kyle, I was trying to wrap in in standard black carbon. The splitter itself is already in black PU plastic, but when test fitting to see what it looked like (as you do the moment you unwrap anything new :D ), I wasn't sure I liked the look of the contrasting colour (yes I know that contradicts my attempts to wrap it in carbon) :lol: Otherwise I would plastidip it as I've seen it's good stuff. IMO in black it did look too aftermarket and bolt on. Colour coding it would (hopefully) make it look more 'part of the car' rather than an after thought. That's just my thoughts though.

Think I'm gonna get a few quotes to colour code it and depending on the costs (and my mods fund), I may just fit it unpainted (black) and se if the look grows on me. Then I can Plastidip it.

Cheers.

Yes, I see what you mean about it looking too bolted on. I plan on getting the same lip eventually and getting it colour matched to my kuro Zed but with a contrasting colour on the very bottom section of the lip if that's an idea you'd like to exploit?

Well I think I may have sorted it. I put a status on Facebook asking if any of my friends (and those I went school with that I haven't spoken to in 20 years etc) knew any painters/body shops that did mates rates.

I've come up trumps. Found someone that said their mate will do it for £20 plus cost of paint. :yahoo:

We'll see how good it is once I get it back, but I'm sure it'll still be 100x better than any of my DIY attempts. :lol:

Glrnet has an azure Zed with contrasting silver lip. I thought that it looked cool. B)

I'll post some pics of mine once fitted.