Short term insurance - 5 weeks

captain

I'm leaving the country on 7th August and just realised my old policy ran out on 1st July.

Anybody got any bright ideas for insurance?

If I go the route of getting the cheapest 3rd party insurance paying monthly it works out at £30 deposit, £30 on 1st August and then some ridiculous cancellation fee taking my costs for 5 weeks driving to £100 plus.

I just had a quote from Aviva for £464 for a 28-day cover note...... :lol: so that's not really an option either.

Thanks.

What about other providers? Adrian Flux happily did me a "rolling monthly" insurance on a car I was selling the other year. Only problem was for me was that because I was using my NCB on my main car, the cost per month was very high - but in your case you should be fine if you have some NCB to use.

have you got any other family members in the uk? if so get them to phone (or go online) and add you as a aditional driver onto thier policy then add your car as a temporary cover, you set a strat date and a expiry date on there. (plus if you dont need it for aslong as you got the cover you get a partial refund!)

this is basically what i do when i buy a new car and still have my old one. :)

hope this helps.

P.S. just for example i paid £68 to cover my audi a3 as a temp car on my 350Z insurance with my GF as a additional driver

Hire a garage and keep it locked up, and SORN it? Remove the battery beforehand and pop a steering lock on it or something should be pretty unstealable.

Not sure if that's something easy to find in your area though, just another option.

have you got any other family members in the uk? if so get them to phone (or go online) and add you as a aditional driver onto thier policy then add your car as a temporary cover, you set a strat date and a expiry date on there. (plus if you dont need it for aslong as you got the cover you get a partial refund!)

hope this helps.

P.S. just for example i paid £68 to cover my audi a3 as a temp car on my 350Z insurance with my GF as a additional driver

My girlfriend is staying in the country until she finds a job and I am currently a named driver on her MX-5 policy.

I'll try that route. :thumbs:

hope this helps.

My girlfriend is staying in the country until she finds a job and I am currently a named driver on her MX-5 policy.

I'll try that route. :thumbs:

Be interesting to see if that works, it might depend upon insurance company, as whenever ive ever asked insurance companies about temp insurance just for a few weeks whilst I sell my old car, none of them have been willing to do it. Ive always had to insure it as a seperate vehicle, on which i cant use my ncb. I remember when I got my zed, my old car was costing me 180quid a year to insure and i ended up having to pay 120quid just for 4 weeks insurance on it when I was selling it. :(

Your not using your NCB's your using their insurance, if you can do it online its alot easier! Ive done it this way pretty much every time ive bought a new car, it does work it just depends on who you are insured with, i know axa and any insurance company they are conected to will do it online and it takes minutes to do. Very easy