Transferring private plate

nixy

Does anyone know the procedure for transferring a cherished number? I need to take it off my car before I sell it but won't have another car to put it onto straight away so need to retain it somehow.

You can put it on rentention for £80 for a year. It's ten free to transfer onto you new car privded you do it within a year, otherwise you have to pay another £80 each year.

It will cost you £105 to transfer a reg number from a car onto a retention certificate. You then have, IIRC, 12 months to transfer it to another car.

If you don't transfer it, it will then cost another £25 to extend the retention certificate for another 12months.

http://www.dvla-som.co.uk/home/en/FAQ/?id=REG_RETAINING#reg_retaining

How can I put my registration on hold when I decide to sell my car ?

You will need to complete a V778/1 - Retention of a Vehicle Registration Number application form. Application forms can be obtained from DVLA's network of local offices. The cost to retain a registration number is £105.

Ypu can download the forms from the dvla website but you still have to visit the local dvla offices. The offices can be extremely busy so downloading the forms at least saves you one long que. Found it best to got to the offices and wait for them to open. This way their is far less wainting time involved. The manchester office had waiting times of over 3hrs by midday.

That's a bummer cos it probably won't be off the car too long before it goes on another one so am I right in thinking I'll have to pay a fee to put a 53 plate back on the CTR, a fee to retain my private number and a fee to transfer it onto my new car when I get it!!

That's a bummer cos it probably won't be off the car too long before it goes on another one so am I right in thinking I'll have to pay a fee to put a 53 plate back on the CTR, a fee to retain my private number and a fee to transfer it onto my new car when I get it!!

I dont think You have to pay a fee to put the 53 plate back on, just a fee to put the original one on transfer, as you will need a new log book the DVLA should register back to the original for nothing, so that you can sell the car to the other person. When you get your new car ask the seller if you can send the log book of, then dont send to DVLA Swansea, take it to your local DVLA instead with the transfer license so that they can re-register the Vehicle and do your plate transfer in one go, will make the transfer much quicker, thats what I did with mine, I was allowed to put my new numberplate on immediatly, as I bought a new road tax and they registered there and then my numberplate. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: