BMW Warranty

Kev946

Well had my first experience of BMW warranty and have no complaints.

I complained to the dealer last week that the front disks were showing some signs of pitting corrosion. This seems to have been casued by me cleaning the car, (with pressure washer), then putting the car in the garage for a week or more wet. I admitted this but poinnted out that the rears seemed OK.

Got a call Monday to say they may not be able to claim on them from BMW UK but would change them anyway at no cost. Got them changed today whilst I waited.

Still can't see why the fronts did this frist, but will be a bit more careful when laying up the car for any period, e.g. a quick drive around the block first.

BTW, whilst I was there I asked how much the disks were. They are pretty big vented 2 piece disks, so was expecting them to be quite expensive. I was surprised to find they are £88 + VAT each.

BTW, whilst I was there I asked how much the disks were. They are pretty big vented 2 piece disks, so was expecting them to be quite expensive. I was surprised to find they are £88 + VAT each.

being 2 pieces, then the bells will be retained and you'll just change the parts in contact with the calipers. Possibly the reason why they are cheap, as they won't be full disks

being 2 pieces, then the bells will be retained and you'll just change the parts in contact with the calipers. Possibly the reason why they are cheap, as they won't be full disks

No they are revitted so they changed the lot. Now have shiny centres..

then they defeat the idea of 2 piece disks? :wacko:

Not at all. The idea of a 2 peice is to allow the disk to expand and contract with heat at a different rates. This will be achieved as the two parts are rivetted togther. I have seprated bells on my Cossie brakes and these are bolted togther. No difference really.

The other advantage is that the steel centre will be significantly lighter than cast iron disks.

My BMW disks are the same except they are rivetted. No difference really. The reason the ones in the picture are bolted is that they use expensive alloy centres so are designed so that you retain the centre and change the disk. With my BMW disks they are Zinc plated steel centres so are disposed with the disks.

I think you are getting confused with floating centres. These are where the centres have springs so allow the disk to move slightly. I believe bikes use these alot....Tim?

nono I meant 2 piece ones like the Project Mu above.

Anyway, £88 is a ridiculous price tbh :scare: Price of a set of pads!

I show you next time we meet matey.

Anyway, yeah £88 plus Vat is cheap. BMW prices are not as high as some think.

Been pricing an M6 front Bumper. £920 plus Vat in primer.... :scare:

As curious as I am about this two piece disc thing it’s the price that really interests me. Toyota wouldn’t even let you away with £88. :scare:

As you didn’t pay for it do you think Mr. BMW forgot a 0?

As curious as I am about this two piece disc thing it’s the price that really interests me. Toyota wouldn’t even let you away with £88. :scare:

As you didn’t pay for it do you think Mr. BMW forgot a 0?

No they assure me they are £87.95 + Vat each. I think it's all about cost of ownership, which is important to companies etc. This is why BMW's, Porsches and Audi's are 20,000 miles service intervals.