Options for company car?

mbcx4jrh

Hi all,

I just got a new job and with it comes a company car (BMW 520 or equivalent). The job will mean a daily round trip of 100 miles. So I'm wondering what to do about cars... given I just got my 370 a couple of months ago.

I just thought I'd bounce the ideas around here to see if there are any I've missed...

The options as I see it:

1. Take the cash, use it for fuel money on the 370z, and put 24k miles a year on it.

2. Take a BMW or similar, pay 15% BIK, pay for fuel, but keep the 370 for weekends

3. Take a hybrid, pay lower BIK, pay low fuel costs, keep the 370 for weekends

4. Sell the 370!!!! Take a company car... (not happening)

Any ideas? I'm leaning to #1 at the moment...

Joe

My 350 was a kinda company car, I would rather enjoy my drives about the country :drive1

Yes I could have made more money from milage expenses etc.. but fun factor wins hands down :thumbs:

... so I say keep the 370 and use it every day :#1:

you weren't really going to get another answer than No1 on here :lol:

but its what i do as well - I average 50-70 miles a day and just take the cash for fuel :thumbs:

Cheapest 5 series has a BIK of 17% and based on a £30k retail price, thats £5100 you are going to pay tax on. You are still going to have to pay for fuel, and you are stillgoing to have to pay for fuel, tax and insurance on the 370.

That grand minimum on BIK tax will possibly pay for the tax, insurance and service for the 370 - or at least a big chunk of it. :shrug:

• 1 month later...

Did a calculation this week:

For 24k miles a year.

Toyota Prius (with realistic mpg, rather than publicised), works out at 11k GBP for me over 3 years

Plus I end up with a 370z with about 15k miles, for weekends.

The 370z (fuel, servicing, tyres, depreciation for the mileage, extra insurance etc) works out at 15.5k over 3 years

And I end up with a 370z thats done 87k miles..

So financially, the Prius seems the way to go. However it means I have to drive a Prius.

My wife has suggested another option : she drives the 370 to work (5 miles) and I use her alfa guilietta instead. You can imagine my reply ;)

Anyone keep a 370 just for weekends?