Track car help?

sinbad

Ha Ha, no its not an elise!

I'm thinking of buying a cheap (£100 max) car, tracking it and basically ragging the thing to pieces for abit of fun. They always say driving a slow car fast is more fun than driving a fast car slow.

So my question is this, Am i mad? if i'm not completely bonkers what things should i be wary of?

I've found one with MOT and Tax for less than £100, and pretty low mileage. I'll be able to strip it and do some cheapish suspension/brake mods etc.. at the same time i could use it to go to and from work whilst saving fuel and putting mileage on my Zed.

Sinbad,

Do the right thing and buy a 7.....

If not you will have fun in a stripped car but please be careful as others may have their pride and joy on track.

Not me in pic (as its a Tiger) but shows dedication with no windscreen/windows/door an a car easy to get it wrong in, and all that snow.

Steve i know what your saying but im planning on having a fun track day, i aint planning on acting like an idiot!

If i could afford a 7 then i wouldn't be doing this. Getting a cheap car also enables me to use it to get me to work and back which i cudn't do in the 7 (60miles round trip on motorway) although it'd be kinda funny, plus theres not much i can strip from a 7. The whole idea of getting a normal road car is that i can have fun stripping it and modifying it easily with parts i can get from a local scrappy at next to no cost. This is a joint venture between a few friends. if the car breaks then we just weigh it in or scrap it and won't affect the wallet too much.

Plus i who says i cant take the windscreen/windows/doors of the laguna haha :headhurt:

i do go to work in the Zed, its just costing me 2k a year in insurance for the mileage i do, plus £80 a week in fuel. Its bloomin brill on the motorway, but i hate putting miles on the thing. I'd rather be putting the miles on it down some A roads instead of M roads! it would be great if i could start to use it as a weekend toy. i'd enjoy it more as i'd miss it through the week. he he

Sinbad,

No probs....you can get cheap 7 replica's, ie, Tiger etc.

Also know of a chap who just sold a strip Mk1 Golf. He had done what you want to do. See the pic as strip cars are not always best daily drive.....

Specification.

180bhp, 154ftlb, (graphs to prove) 805kgs, 223bhp/tonne

8.51 BTG Ring, 1.26 Donny, 1.25 Bedford West (evo test track)

0-60 5.9, 0-100 14.7 (gps timed with old 1.8 engine!)

2L 16v ‘abf’ Engine with flowed head and KR cams, modified air intake, 4 branch manifold with 2.5â€

No i understand, but i want a car i can learn with. I'm not a mechanic but im handy and willing. I want to start from scratch. Theres no fun in handing your hard earned cash to over to someone else, only for them to do all the work. How will i know how to fix it if it breaks? if i got a perfectly good 7 it would be wrecked it in a week! :headhurt:

Regarding the laguna, its never going to be fast unless i throw a load of cash at the engine so i'm planning on concentrating on weight, brakes and suspension.

As i said this will be a joint venture and we've decided to do this as cheap as possilble. So we've budgeted ourselfs £100 for the car :wacko: crazy i know but we want to spend the rest of the money on making it run good and modifying it.

We've looked at a few golfs, metro's etcc but its finding one. Bodywork isn't important as long as the chassis and engine are sound. We'll work on the rest over time and make sure its fully track worthy before we go out in it. In fact a golf is probably our first choice or a 205 as they'll have great steering feel, quick out the box and cheap parts. A turbo is a possability (21 turbo, 600 ti etc.) but trying to stay away from them for reliablity.

i remember those days - nissan primeras and Volvo's for gods sakes. made it even better when TOCA came out for the PC+playstation. God i loved that game! haha :teeth:

By the way we have not bought the laguna yet, it was just an idea after seeing one with nearly 12months MOT and tax. Car is still open for debate, as were only buying at end of march so plenty of time to find a golf etc..

Good call Andy. Rear wheel drive would be far more fun.

Also, what about an old 200SX. I know it's turbocharged, but you must be able to pick scrappers up for pennies. What's reliability like with them?

There was a guy with a 200sx at a Track Day I went to. Go talking to him and he took me passenger and I returned the compliment. He had fitted a Volve 740 Turbo Intercooler and upped the boost. Very tail happy.

Iv'e always fancied a BM, my brother used have a 325 in Germany as a runabout, it was quite nippy too. Not sure on the availability and price of parts though,

200sx would be good but im guessing they'll be difficult to get hold of as there still in some demand due to drifting etc.. becoming popular. Plus it has a turbo and were thinking of staying clear of them for reliability purposes.