Catalytic converters

smudgedon

On my previous diesel cars, i've always got rid of the cat as it's still road legal on a derv

I know that some places do sport cats and high flow cats for the 350z, with the ultimate decat being an option also

What are people's preference? I have a friendly MOT'er that's a client of ours who would "overlook" the decat issue

What would you recommend?

Berk HFCs are the more poplular choices with members on here.

Its all depends on preference, its alright having a friendly MOT place but theres always the chance of other risks with having decats, I can supply either but the decats are sold for off road use only. Its up to you what you do with them afterwards :thumbs:

Berk HFCs are the more poplular choices with members on here.

Its all depends on preference, its alright having a friendly MOT place but theres always the chance of other risks with having decats, I can supply either but the decats are sold for off road use only. Its up to you what you do with them afterwards :thumbs:

What other risks are there with decats?

well if you fail the roadside emissions test it is a whopping £60 fine... thats if you get pulled over for testing in the first place. and the chances of that most likely depend on how loud your exhaust is, and how smoky your car looks - i think the scooby boys and other turbo'd cars will raise far more suspicion (admittedly they have more to gain from a free flowing exhaust)

as for the insurance, id be surprised that they would think to check if an exhaust has a decat pipe or not, depending on how many other modifications the exhaust has.

in my opinion, the only reason i wouldnt run decats is the difficulty of getting it through its MOT, but if you've got that covered i personally wouldnt let the risk of a roadside emissions test or a insurance discrepancy stop me. My previous car ran decats and an illegal numberplate (correct font and spacing, but it was tiny lol) and wasnt ever stopped for either. might be worth searching to see if roadside emissions tests are common in your area, but as i say, there are quite a few other cars that would be more suspicious.

Thanks Brillo

Hardly any traffic police around me, but as soon as you head east to lakeside or west to reading, there's usually a fair amount around

Is there much difference power wise between HFC and decats?

only if your hunting for big numbers and usually for FI. if you drove 2 cars side by side, one with decats one with hi flows you'd be hard pushed to notice any difference other than noise.

Thanks guys

Also, am i right in thinking that a decat will be cheaper than a HFC?

yes it will be cheaper, but personally with all the new changes going on in the MOT system, i'd be more inclined to run HFC's and not a decat as the insurance could be invalidated.