Jacking points

Shinjuku

Surely people do something different in practice than what is on that diagram. If you put a trolley jack on the sill there you will chew the sill edge up on the jack head. Plus there is nowhere to put a stand as the skirt runs up to the edge of the sill meaning you risk cracking it.

What do people do in practice.

Go out onto your drive with a torch.

Lay down behind your front wheel.

Look at the sill ridge under the car.

You will see 2 x "dimples" in the sill metal.

Between these 2 points is the jacking point.

And these are exactly where garage lifts go.

Surely people do something different in practice than what is on that diagram. If you put a trolley jack on the sill there you will damage it. Plus there is nowhere to put a stand as the skirt runs up to the edge of the sill meaning you risk cracking it.

What do people do in practice.

Where do garages with two post lifts lift it for example

You can use the standard bits for using the stands if you put the stands parallel to your car.

You'll find that if you are using the sill jacking point its not uncommon for a small mod to be made by yourself. Take a small piece of wood 1/2" inch thick, cut to fit snug on top of your jack or stand and saw a slot down it about 1/8" deep to fit on the sill point. Otherwise you are still able to use the main garage jacking points as in the schematic that you have probably seen earlier. :thumbs:

If I'm in a rush I use the sill jacking points with the jack in the boot, otherwise I use the trolley jack and use the central points under the car and lift the whole front and back.

I've got an off cut of wood that I keep meaning to cut a groove in, but I'm just too lazy. Another often used trick is to cut a groove in a hockey puck.