V+ Plenum - Fitted today

Jobo

Hi Guys,

Finally got my V+ Plenum yesterday from Kinetix and got it fitted this morning.

It was pretty straight forward to fit and pretty self explanatory, although i followed the instructions exactly, just to be sure!

Only real problem i had was that the throttle body, when fitted to the V+, sits at a slightly different angle than it does on the standard plenum, and i had to make a small aluminium bracket to fit from the engine mounting point to the intake tube on my typhoon kit. I presume if using the standard plastic intake tube you wouldnt have this problem and there would be enough flex in the corrogated section??

Anyway, the Typhoon has been fitted for a couple of weeks now, and unless you rev the car over 4k revs, you dont really notice the kit is there!

Now, however, it has a very 'throaty' sound, even at low revs ie, in town driving pulling away from lights etc.

Overall very pleased with piece of kit and service, as for the gains which Kinetix claim, well im not sure, but its always far too easy just to think its giving the car more power just with the noise it produces.

Was there any cooling liquid coming out of the 2 hoses underneath the throttle body? I want to remove my stock plenum as well to get it polished/chromed. However, will it be needed to refill the cooling system + removing the air??

you will get a drop or two of coolant loss ,but nothing to worry about, just reconnect when you replace plenum :thumbs:

you will get a drop or two of coolant loss ,but nothing to worry about, just reconnect when you replace plenum :thumbs:

Tnx! Did you put a special clamp on the hoses or is there a clamp on them anyway to secure them with the plenum?

Think I used original clamps :)

Tnx! Did you put a special clamp on the hoses or is there a clamp on them anyway to secure them with the plenum?

lomotos saving his nipple clamps for anothe occasion.........!!!!! :teeth:

your mind works at a strange tangent stuey :headhurt:

it was the word clamps that sent me down that path............!! :teeth:

it was the word clamps that sent me down that path............!! :teeth:

that will be a long twisty path I think ;)

Yeh like lomoto said, just a few drops of coolent loss and just use the original clamps :D

It is quite a bit louder now, i thought it was the typhoon so i took it off today and fitted the stock airbox etc again, but the extra noise is definitely produced by the plenum!

Lomoto, is there any kind of a whine coming from your car now? Ive noticed that there is a definitive whine when under slight accelarion, ie town driving, comes and goes under light acceleration/coasting? I checked all the bolts today just to make sure it was a 100% seal and they are fine.

Am i just being paranoid??! :blush:

Yeh like lomoto said, just a few drops of coolent loss and just use the original clamps :D

It is quite a bit louder now, i thought it was the typhoon so i took it off today and fitted the stock airbox etc again, but the extra noise is definitely produced by the plenum!

Lomoto, is there any kind of a whine coming from your car now? Ive noticed that there is a definitive whine when under slight accelarion, ie town driving, comes and goes under light acceleration/coasting? I checked all the bolts today just to make sure it was a 100% seal and they are fine.

Am i just being paranoid??! :blush:

Your paranoid :p I think it will just be the extra induction roar from the plenum as it is not as thick walled as the original alloy one..?

• 2 weeks later...

Ive noticed the same sort of thing.

I also have a rattle from the engine bay at high revs that echoes through the car.. Although i did have to leave the Typhoon bracket off and i think its this which is vibrating... :wacko:

Not sure....

I havent noticed a massive improvement either if im honest, the BHP claims of K&N and Kinetix should have given approx 20-25 bhp..

I dont think ive got half that..

Anyone else noticed a big/dissapointing difference??

the Kinetix plenum IS noisy. both extra induction noise but I also remember a "plasticky" type noise and vibration coming from it. I didn't like that.

Also, make sure the strut bar doesn't vibrate against the bonnet, as I had to adjust it quite a bit to make it clear the Plenum.

WRT gains, I did certantly feel the difference, and when I took it off, again I felt the difference (ie less hp) and again when I put my spacer on, I certaintly feel it.

Guest prescience
MY Strut bar is rubbing the plenum slightly and is also hitting the strengthener on the bonnet. :rant:

You should only need to shorten the strut bar (tighten it) slightly and this will raise it away from the engine cover and transversely away from the bonnet too, since it raises in the middle - like the handles on a supermarket basket, when you have a very heavy weight in :)

Not the V+ but same principle

000_0038_47.jpg

Guest prescience

Page from manual .... which basically says undo the outside bolts (which are for locking in place), turn centre bolt to adjust (shorten/lengthen) and then re-tighten outside locking bolts. Don't get too hung up on the alignment it talks about, just adjust until you have about 6mm clearance from the engine cover

strutbar.jpg