Career/training info Cisco CCNA

elfman

Morning all!

I'm after a bit of info and i know there's a good wealth of knowledge on here so thought i'd ask. I'm looking at training for a new career path as mine could be looking a bit sketchy at the minute and seems to be going down hill, loosing a lot of staff for lesser roles atm and i'd rather have a plan for the future incase i get dumped on.

Currently i work for BT Openreach (awaits flaming) in network design. I've been thinking about doing some training in a new-ish profession for just incase basicly. To fit in with the past 6 years i've had working with the copper and a bit of fibre network i'm looking to train in something a bit more IT network based. I've been looking at some Cisco CCNA week long courses but not sure what to go for.

Imagine someone on here will be in that kind of industry so all info is welcome :D

Thanks!

By currently doing network design I guess you mean more at the physical layer?

CCNA will cover some of that and rest of the OSI model, with plenty of stuff at layer 3 which is where a lot of people think of networks as happening. The course(s) content covers all the fundamentals - ICDN1 is basically networking 101, with ICND2 covering more routing and how to actually manage and configure the kit. Some of it will be teaching you to suck eggs considering your experience, but some will be new and will help you take a slightly different career direction.

No problem. You can find a lot of the info online, then just pick up a cheap old 2600 series router and a switch (3500 series will be a couple of quid) from ebay for a home lab and get learning to cover the basics. Cisco provide guides on how to pretty much configure all the stuff, you just have to get your head around the terminology and what you want to achieve. The courses them selves will be of benefit on a cv, the exam cert a much better benefit, and of course real world exp miles better.