350Z Input Shaft Bearing noise (~50k miles)

DizzyDatsun

I've noticed a new noise :scare:. I can hear it when I am sat in neutral and have the clutch pedal up and it sounds like a scoring/scraping sound with, every now and then, a sort of rattle (hard to describe). If I depress the clutch the sound goes away. I have found a video (

, though another post here) on youtube that sounds like it. The poster of the video said it turned out to be a loose flywheel in the end. I had the clutch repaired at about 35k miles but the flywheel wasn't replaced.

I am inclined to suspect it is the input shaft bearing of the gearbox. Does anyone know how much that is likely to cost to have replaced? I'm guessing the parts won't be expensive but the labour will be :headhurt:. Any recommendations of a place to have the job done very welcome.

Sounds like front transmission bearing or flywheel as per your description mate.

Both are easy fixes, however the gearbox has to be dropped which is no big deal. :thumbs:

If you are planning on carrying out this work yourself then please find below schematics which will help you understand the transmission layout.

All parts required including clutch kits and flywheels are in stock and all good to go same/next day.

Alex :)

GEARBOX350Z.png

GEARBOX350ZZ.png

GEARBOX350ZZZ.png

Cheers for the help. I'd love to give it a crack to do the job myself but sadly don't have a decent place to do it (gravel drive no garage). Taking it in is the only option really so I'm after an idea of what to expect to soften the blow and to know what's reasonable.