Engine Bay Bolt Set

JT350GT4

Anyone know where I can get a full set of engine bay bolts with the sunk washers? (I know tarmacs selling an orange set but i'm after anodised blue colour)

Seen these on ebay but have no idea how many i'd need and there are three sizes being sold BL16 and SS16 and SS25

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=350z+engine+bay&_sacat=0&_dmpt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&_odkw=350z+engine+bay&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Can anyone help I'm kinda at a loss :shrug:

Cheers

Jordan

Found this on My350z.com

So a while back, I wanted to start replacing the ugly OEM under hood bolts with something similar to GalleryFresh or PasswordJDM style bolts, but the price-tag on those turned me away really fast (SRSLY guys? That much, for freaking bolts?!? )

So I started doing a bunch of R&D on different bolts styles/suppliers/finishes/ways to finish the bolts/etc... and came up with something I was happy with:

MGalleryItem.php?id=2075

MGalleryItem.php?id=1755

After seeing them, several members approached me about making some for them, which I did:

MGalleryItem.php?id=1790

...but I'm not really into retail (and trying to be a vendor on this site is a huge PITA) and people started hounding me about wanting bolt sets but didn't like waiting (had very limited time to do these, and conditions have to be juuuust right for the paint) so I quit doing them.

Well, recently there's been a huge resurgence in interest, so in the interest of benefiting the community, here's all the info you'll need

1st - Bolts

Most of the bolts you'll need are M6x1.0 thread. Get 25mm length for most of them, and a few 16mm (some of the bolts have to be very short)

http://www.allensfasteners.com/detai...oduct_ID=70507

For the bolts around the perimeter of the plenum, 25mm is perfect, there are either 9 or 10... I can't remember for sure. You'll also need 4x60mm and 3x40mm and 2 M6 nuts (chrome ones look nice http://www.allensfasteners.com/detai...oduct_ID=00079)

If you have a 5/16 or 3/8 spacer, add 10mm to each bolt size.

The larger ones that hold on the radiator support are M8x1.25x20mm

Also, the nuts for your strut towers are M8x1.25

Now if you really want baller status, you can get the bolts in chrome instead of stainless... and they are very shiny: http://www.allensfasteners.com/detai...oduct_ID=70665

Also, these look great for the throttle body (especially if you have a polished TB and plenum) http://www.allensfasteners.com/detai...oduct_ID=20200

Some guys use this style around the plenum, which looks good as well.

2nd - Washers

Ok, other than the flat washers (which you can find easily enough on allensfasteners) you'll also need the countersink washers.

These are the ones I got:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/51...tersunk_Washer

http://www.drillspot.com/products/51...tersunk_Washer

you'll need two sizes, because the larger ones work nice and look good down the fenders, but don't fit well in tight places like on the plenum, etc...

You can also get these at Grainger stores with the same item numbers (1NU85 and 1NU86)

If you're doing the really large ones on the radiator support, you'll want to get some 5/16th ones along with your allensfasteners order: http://www.allensfasteners.com/detai...oduct_ID=20220

For the ones under the strut tower bolts, you'll have to do some experimenting, but I believe a 5/16th washer will fit, and might look a bit better or be easier/cheaper to get.

Probably be worth it to pick up a couple different styles with your order... if people update this thread with their findings, I'll add it to this post.

3rd finishing (optional)

If you just want a straight up stainless look, you don't really have to do anything

MGalleryItem.php?id=1756

otherwise, the best looking finish is DupliColor Metalcast. http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalCast/

I've tried several paints, and this one is by far the best looking. The colors are transparent, so you don't want to use any primer, because you want to be able to see the reflective metal underneath.

Usually about 3 very light coats is perfect. The biggest trick is getting them even all the way around... I usually just do a quick pass from 3 different angles (120 degrees apart) and repeat that process for each coat.

Also, the weather has to be just right for this paint, otherwise it will turn hazy really quick, and you have to strip it all off and start over.

The only problem is, since you're not doing any priming, it can chip fairly easy, so your best bet is just to be really careful when you install them, and make several extras to replace any that get chipped over time.

All in all, your materials, paint, and shipping should all be way way WAY less that what pretty much any custom bolt kit out there will cost you, and the results are always a big hit at shows

MGalleryItem.php?id=1762

You can see the thread here

http://my350z.com/forum/body-interior-e ... yle-3.html

Here is the complete list for both HR engine and DE

DE Engine

plenum

9 m6x25mm

3 m6x40mm

4 m6x60mm

2 m6 nuts

6? m6x16mm

Headlights

(2) M6x1.00x20mm flat head allen bolts

(2) M6 countersunk washers

Strut Bar

(6) M10x1.25x25mm flanged hex bolts (use 30mm if you have a DE with a plenum spacer)

(2) M10x1.25 flanged nuts (normal hex nuts work too but require washers)

(8) M10 flat washers (these are only needed if you don't use flanged bolts/nuts above)

Shock Towers

(6) M8 flanged nuts (normal hex nuts work too but require washers)

(6) M8 flat washers (these are only needed if you don't use flanged nuts above)

Power Steering Bolts

(3) M6x1.00x25mm flat head allen bolts

(3) M6 countersunk washers

Radiator Support

(4) M8x1.25x16mm flat head allen bolts

(4) M8 countersunk washers

Hood

(4) M8 flanged nuts (normal hex nuts work too but require washers)

(4) M8 flat washers (these are only needed if you don't use flanged nuts above)

Throttle Body

(4) m6x1.00x60mm metric allen bolts

(4) m6 flat washers (the smaller the outside diameter the better)

Fender

(6) M6x1.00x20mm flat head allen bolts

(6) M6 countersunk washers

HR Engine

Headlights

(2) M6x1.00x20mm flat head allen bolts

(2) M6 countersunk washers

Strut Bar

(6) M10x1.25x25mm flanged hex bolts (use 30mm if you have a DE with a plenum spacer)

(2) M10x1.25 flanged nuts (normal hex nuts work too but require washers)

(8) M10 flat washers (these are only needed if you don't use flanged bolts/nuts above)

Shock Towers

(6) M8 flanged nuts (normal hex nuts work too but require washers)

(6) M8 flat washers (these are only needed if you don't use flanged nuts above)

Power Steering Bolts

(3) M6x1.00x25mm flat head allen bolts

Radiator Support

Engine Cover (HR specific two piece cover)

(3) M6x1.00x20mm flat head allen bolts

(4) M6x1.00 dome(acorn) nuts

(4) M6 flat washers

Hood

(4) M8 flanged nuts (normal hex nuts work too but require washers)

(4) M8 flat washers (these are only needed if you don't use flanged nuts above)

Throttle Body (for DE motors, just get 4 of each)

(8) m6x1.00x60mm metric allen bolts

(8) m6 flat washers (the smaller the outside diameter the better)

Fender

(6) M6x1.00x20mm flat head allen bolts

(6) M6 countersunk washers

Good info there Simon. :thumbs:

+100000! That might save me a few bucks as I was currently in discussions with a company in america for some :ninja: bolts in a new finish. Wonder if these guys will do the same - best get asking :thumbs:

Nice one Simon :thumbs:

Edit - looks like the links are out of date :rant:

Here's the updated links below, turns out they weren't out of date, but the links were a little broken. That's the Allens Fastners ones fixed.

1st - Bolts

Most of the bolts you'll need are M6x1.0 thread. Get 25mm length for most of them, and a few 16mm (some of the bolts have to be very short)

http://www.allensfasteners.com/detail.a ... t_ID=70507

For the bolts around the perimeter of the plenum, 25mm is perfect, there are either 9 or 10... I can't remember for sure. You'll also need 4x60mm and 3x40mm and 2 M6 nuts (chrome ones look nice http://www.allensfasteners.com/detail.a ... t_ID=00079)

If you have a 5/16 or 3/8 spacer, add 10mm to each bolt size.

The larger ones that hold on the radiator support are M8x1.25x20mm

Also, the nuts for your strut towers are M8x1.25

Now if you really want baller status, you can get the bolts in chrome instead of stainless... and they are very shiny: http://www.allensfasteners.com/detail.a ... t_ID=70665

Also, these look great for the throttle body (especially if you have a polished TB and plenum)

http://www.allensfasteners.com/detail.a ... t_ID=20200

Some guys use this style around the plenum, which looks good as well.

• 2 weeks later...

My new bolts are on their way, although I did nearly keel over when I was given the price lol

Where did you get yours from in the end?

I'm having serious difficulty getting exactly what I want. The plenum bolts are the hardest to source.

I've got two options

1 : go for aluminium and get them anodised

2 : go with pro bolts and pay a fortune

The main problem is getting all the required bolts under one roof, in the right style.

For instance I can't seem to source a M6 x 70mm in a flat Allen head. I can get normal Allen head but not sure they would be suitable for the plenum?

My new bolts are on their way, although I did nearly keel over when I was given the price lol

Where did you get yours from in the end?

I'm having serious difficulty getting exactly what I want. The plenum bolts are the hardest to source.

I've got two options

1 : go for aluminium and get them anodised

2 : go with pro bolts and pay a fortune

The main problem is getting all the required bolts under one roof, in the right style.

For instance I can't seem to source a M6 x 70mm in a flat Allen head. I can get normal Allen head but not sure they would be suitable for the plenum?

I got them from Pro-bolt, they have since gone back though as the heads were too small, just waiting on my refund. Search their site though (if you haven't already) as they do have a big selection, I just told them the style I wanted and used Chilli Red's engine code the set they had made up. I didn't want the plenum ones as I've polished mine (was easier and cheaper).

I guess they sent you the Allen bolts. I've also been in discussion with them and another company in the UK.

I've found some bolts on the Pro Bolts US site which aren't advertised in the UK but just waiting for a response.

I really like the flanged hex bolts, but want them before Wales in the right size and material. I may even need to get them anodised as well.

Once I get a supplier I'll let you know. Allensbolts.com are good but don't provide everything I need and want a one stop supplier.

I guess they sent you the Allen bolts. I've also been in discussion with them and another company in the UK.

I've found some bolts on the Pro Bolts US site which aren't advertised in the UK but just waiting for a response.

I really like the flanged hex bolts, but want them before Wales in the right size and material. I may even need to get them anodised as well.

Once I get a supplier I'll let you know. Allensbolts.com are good but don't provide everything I need and want a one stop supplier.

Thanks, be good to know how you get on :thumbs:

I ordered the gunmetal titanium race spec ones, but the heads are too small and would need washers too which wouldn't look right, I ordered the 18 engine bay bolt sizes on chilli's code and also the strut bar ones.

I've had a moan at Pro Bolt as their American site had a better selection. It turns out the UK site wasn't filtering correctly and so half the bolts were missing.

I'm going to go for the flanges hex bolt in Aluminium. I'll also go for the washers but not sure which as yet.

The other company came back to me, they don't do 50mm or 70mm.

Pro Bolt seems to be the only one stop shop.

Doing an engine bay fully in titanium is expensive :surrender:

That one doesn't do a 35mm, but does the 70 and 50mm

It's crazy why one company can't provide the complete selection I don't know. Really annoying.

Quite correct they do not do a 35mm but they do a 40mm that I cut down to 35mm, easy.

I've had a moan at Pro Bolt as their American site had a better selection. It turns out the UK site wasn't filtering correctly and so half the bolts were missing.

I'm going to go for the flanges hex bolt in Aluminium. I'll also go for the washers but not sure which as yet.

The other company came back to me, they don't do 50mm or 70mm.

Pro Bolt seems to be the only one stop shop.

Doing an engine bay fully in titanium is expensive :surrender:

Yep, they had all the ones I wanted but unfortunately the heads were too small for the hole really without washers which wouldn't have looked right with the bolts I wanted, I'm going to see what's about at this years shows for ideas

Whole bay in the bolts I wanted was ....£180! (they were titanium drilled race bolts though lol) I'm ignoring titanium now lol

• 5 months later...
Posted · Hidden by M13KYF, October 26, 2012 - trading
Hidden by M13KYF, October 26, 2012 - trading

I used to make these for Tarmac as i have an engineering business - it was our agreement that I'd not sell them direct as he had "The Shopfront" and I had no desire to sell them individually and I didn't want to have to pay Traders rates on the forum.

However, if Tarmac isn't selling them any more - I have in stock 5 sets of blue ones and 5 sets of red ones, plus 5 sets of orange plus 2 sets of silver ones - the silver ones are just plain aluminium, and are not anodised.

I'm happy to sell these at the price I sold them to Tarmac - plus carraige etc would be about £45.00 delivered.

They include all the bolts iin stainless steel, and that includes 2 sets of bolts for the plenums as I allowed for both with and without spacers.

Mods - please contact me if this is running foul of the trading rules. I had no desire to trade on here - I made the orange ones for my own car to start with and then made them in sets of 10 for Tarmac - indeed the 5 red sets and the 5 blue sets are where I originally wanted to run them as 500 minimum runs on my machines, but tarmac didn't want that many!

Anyway - if anybody wants some, PM me and we'll take it from there.

RedM8andM6various2.jpg

BlueM8andM6various.jpg

RedM8andM6various2.jpg

BlueSetof31.jpg

RedM8andM6various.jpg

RedThruPlenumbolts.jpg

post-10-135011839482_thumb.jpg

On the subject of making parts - my son made me a gear knob and so we also have a couple of trials & variations of those, if anybody wants one - there's 1 in full polished aluminium, one with 25 microns of hard anodising (which makes it satin finish) and one in white plastic. All these have 2 inlays in the top, which you can't see in this photo. I had asked Tarmac if he wanted them but we couldn't get a price / volume run resolved, so I've only got these 3 here.

3optionsonGearKnobs.jpg

As we are developing kits for the Z, please contact me - I am the commercial sales director at PB and would be happy to give anyone a discount on bolts in return for information that helps me with the development.

Ian

As we are developing kits for the Z, please contact me - I am the commercial sales director at PB and would be happy to give anyone a discount on bolts in return for information that helps me with the development.

Ian

Seems Wasso will have all the info you require, I'll be wanting a set in orange when you have the kits available, I'll take a pic of my engine bay when fitted you're welcome to use it :thumbs:

Posted · Hidden by glrnet, October 19, 2012 - Contact for contribution
Hidden by glrnet, October 19, 2012 - Contact for contribution

I made the sets for Tarmac - and still have 5 sets of red, 5 sets of blue, 6 sets of orange left as he never took all the parts i hade made for him. TBH I'm a bit disppointed he didn't contact me to say he was gooing to drop them from his range, but as I have an engineering business I'd much rather do the bulk runs and let the traders handle thr retail.

Until another trader gets in touch - anybody wants a set, send me a PM

2012-03-15AirflowFaultreadout.jpg

BlueThruPlenumbolts.jpg

I really don't want to run as a trader on here - if Tarmac isn't going to sell these any more, and as I have 15 sets - and can make more - are there any of the traders who'd like to sell these - PM me and I'll give you the trade prices so you can sell to the forum