Engine light after jump start (by pushing the car)

se350z

Hi everyone last night my batter died, while sitting down in the car with misses, how ever i managed to junp start the car but my engine light come on..i been using the car for 8 months and never come acrossed something like this.. Any ideas why engine light come on?

You should never jump start a car that has catalytic converters as the unburnt fuel in the exhaust can ignite and destroy the converter(s).

There is a procedure on the forum somewhere that tells you how to get the fault code using the ignition key. That will help you identify the problem.

I can't see a problem with either tbh. Unless you're bump-starting a car every day for a month, then you're not going to cause any damage to it. Theoretically yes, you could, but I just can't see it happening.

I can't see a problem with either tbh. Unless you're bump-starting a car every day for a month, then you're not going to cause any damage to it. Theoretically yes, you could, but I just can't see it happening.

I've just had another think on this one. If you have flattened your battery, and that's all you've done, then properly bump starting the car should do no harm. The first time a piston hits TDC, the engine should start in exactly the same way as it would have done using it's own starter motor and battery.

However, if the car will not start on it's battery and you have cranked and cranked in hope until the battery is flat, then attempting to bump start it would not be a good idea. Ten to one it will still not start and you are pushing unburnt fuel through the cat. Then again, cranking a car that will not start also pushes unburnt fuel through the cat, so what's the difference?

Steve