First Purchase Pt 2 (the plot thickens!)

sprax

Hi guys,

Thankyou so much for all your welcomes and advice on my first post :D

As I said I went to see the car today.

The one issue that was bought up was Jak and Attakz both thought the tyre sizes looked a little off, so as promised I have the details:

Rear - 265/30/ZR19

Front - 235/35/ZR19

Both front and rear are Falken tyres.

Overall the car was ok...not as unblemished as the advert stated...stone chips on bonnet and front bumper (expected), but also extending down both wings. there had also been some paintwork done on the ledge under the front grill with (my pet hate) overspray!! :angry:

She drove nicely, no weird noises, tho I would like to give her a more extensive drive...but, and in my mind the biggest no-no, on my arrival the battery was flat...this leads me to doubt the dealer who kmew damn well I was coming!! :angry:

Anyway maybe I'm being picky but as an (don't shoot me) x-Nissan car salesman those little things point towards the general attitude of the seller!

I got him to copy the service history for me and will be phoning the dealers tomorrow to check on those...and he gave me a decent price for my part-x and showed a willingness to move on the screen price also...so win-win :D

Anyway..looking for some advice on the above and ty in advance!!

If I am correct, those tyre sizes make the rear wheels smaller than the front and therefore the traction control won't function correctly as the rear wheels will always be rotating faster than the fronts, whereas I believe it should be rear wheels slightly larger. But this could easily be fixed with fitting series 35 tires on the rears giving a tyre circumference difference of -1.48% of OEM 18's. With the current set up it's -5.6% meaning you have to use 5.6% more power to do the same speed. On a plus note, you'll probably experience slightly faster acceleration... :bounce:

She drove nicely, no weird noises, tho I would like to give her a more extensive drive...but, and in my mind the biggest no-no, on my arrival the battery was flat...this leads me to doubt the dealer who kmew damn well I was coming!! :angry:

Anyway maybe I'm being picky but as an (don't shoot me) x-Nissan car salesman those little things point towards the general attitude of the seller!

That's just plain slack of the owner. Wonder how long it had been sitting for???

If I am correct, those tyre sizes make the rear wheels smaller than the front and therefore the traction control won't function correctly as the rear wheels will always be rotating faster than the fronts, whereas I believe it should be rear wheels slightly larger. But this could easily be fixed with fitting series 35 tires on the rears giving a tyre circumference difference of -1.48% of OEM 18's. With the current set up it's -5.6% meaning you have to use 5.6% more power to do the same speed. On a plus note, you'll probably experience slightly faster acceleration... :bounce:

Yes, you've obviously used the same calculator as me :) Fronts aren't too bad but the rears are a bit too far out. The closest I could come up with for the rears would be 265/35/19. In an ideal world the sizes for 19" wheels on the Zed should be 245/35/19 and 275/35/19. As KyleR has said above, traction control could be a problem :shrug: If the battery was flat then it'll need a new one before too long, it's a big engine to turn over and they never hold the charge properly again, might last the summer but that's about it.

Pete

Ty guys..got to say all this tyre size calculations is starting to hurt my head..and is actually really putting me off this car...although it does come with the original wheels and tyres so may have the dealer put them on and sell these 19" so and so's, or at least give me time to get my head around it all...I think I have broken the search function over the last 3 hrs and still feel no further forward! :headhurt:

With regards to flat batteries, im pleased im not the only one to experience this with car sales men. It happened to me at least 4 times when ive actually phoned the garage up in advance and agreed to come and look at a car (with cash in my pocket) only to find the car has a flat battery. One car actually had a flat battery, flat tyres and was stuck behind about 3 other cars at the back of the forecourt - so no way was I going to be able to easily test drive it.

Makes you wonder really how keen some people are to sell their cars.

Ty guys..got to say all this tyre size calculations is starting to hurt my head..and is actually really putting me off this car...although it does come with the original wheels and tyres so may have the dealer put them on and sell these 19" so and so's, or at least give me time to get my head around it all...I think I have broken the search function over the last 3 hrs and still feel no further forward! :headhurt:

The wheels are fine, it's just the rear tires are too low a profile. Ask the dealer to either fit new SAFE tires in the correct sizes, or remove the cost of you doing the same from your offer.