Speakers or head unit?

Mrdeli

Could someone please tell me whether it's the speakers or the head unit that is responsible for such poor sound?

I know a little about home audio and often it's the speakers that are the limiting factor? Is that the case here.

My car is none Bose.

Thanks mark.

Could be a combo of both. What HU do you have?

Could be dodgy wiring, the quality of the music you are playing, mp3, ripped cd's, original cd's.

There are a few variables that need to be investigated before you point the finger at speakers and or HU. :surrender:

Front speakers are actually decent, rears are poor but you don't want tons of sound coming from behind you anyway.

Limited EQ of the head unit is mainly to blame. Do the "Tape Deck Hack" to add an aux line-in... Most people are blown away by how much better it sounds than CD!

TBH i think with the Bose set up it must be the HU as it's made by Clarion. I have the GT and the sound isn't that great, especially the bass. I really can't see Bose putting out crap speakers considering the quality of their home audio equipment, so I think someday when I get the cash i'll try a different HU then see, and maybe change the amp because it's pretty puny. Plus, I don't think i'd have the heart to remove 7 Bose speakers and replace them with Sony or whatever, to me that just seems like a step backwards.

As for the stock audio, I'd go for a full swap out, HU and speakers, but if I couldn't afford to all at once, i'd go for the speakers first, starting with the rear to get a bit more bass.

im thinking that the tape hack may be worth trying...will it work ok on the none bose head unit?

It sounds great and worth trying if you're handy with a soldering iron :thumbs:

I've done the mod on my non-Bose branded head unit. It's 99% identical to the Bose version because they're both made by Clarion! The non-Bose just has an internal amp at the back where the Bose has an external amp. The tape unit that you tap into is identical.

Actually now I see replacing the rears is probably harder than the fronts!

Please could someone recommend some speakers for the fronts, under £100. Also what size speaker do I need - is it 6.5 inches?

Do I get 2 way or component (and is component just having a separate tweeter??)

Thank you very much - mark.

I would go 2-way in the rear and 3-way in the doors. Not sure of how many speakers the base model has, but the Bose has 6 + 1. 1 Sub, 2 behind and 2 in each door (one 6.5" and one tweeter I believe) The only problem with fitting door speakers in the limited fitting depth you'll have. I'm not sure exactly way it is but I'm sure I read it on the forum somewhere.

Something like these would be good for your doors providing they're not too deep. They are also 5mm too wide, but still may fit. These ones also have 35 watt RMS and a max output of 300 watts which makes them upgrade proof if you decide to change out the HU too. http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65707#tab1

P.s - yes, I believe component means there is a separate tweeter to be fitted in near by.

Rear speakers easy as a standard size, fronts not. You need to make/buy a spacer or butcher the standard speaker.

http://www.350z-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Front_Speaker_Installation

http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/front_speakers/

http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/rear_speakers/

But the standard fronts go loud enough without distorting to vibrate the door so why bother.

You ideally want a 2 way component set for the fronts unless you want to get real creative with a 3 way set but you'll need to find somewhere to mount the usually 4" mid.

I didnt bother replacing the rears as i only ever used them as rear fill due to the fronts producing most of the sound. The JL TR650Csi are £100 and produce good quality sound, there not to deep either, i cut of the existing speakers to make a mount for the JL's.

I would suggest going about it in this order -

1. Replace fronts with as good component speakers as you can, just make sure of the depth of the speakers and be prepared to have to make mounts if you are doing it yourself.

See how it sounds, could make a HUGE difference...

2. Replace rears with decent coaxial speakers ( You can obviously not bother with this if you feel you don't need rears but they do make a difference as they are at lot closer that say the rears in a hatchback etc )

3. Amp the speakers

4. Change the HU

Replacing the speakers is a fairly cheap option and may suffice obviously an amp & new HU is going to be fairly pricey...

All down to how much you want to budget for your aural pleasure :thumbs:

Best advice is work out a budget first and then stick to it, no point getting £300 speakers that don't make a whole lot of difference then not having the ££ to get the best out of them...

Surely the headunit has to be first, changing this and using the bose amp/speakers ro even non bose speakers will be a big improvement which will be more then enough for most people.

To keep the existing headunit and try and swap out speakers and then amp them of the stock headunit would be a pain.

Surely the headunit has to be first, changing this and using the bose amp/speakers ro even non bose speakers will be a big improvement which will be more then enough for most people.

To keep the existing headunit and try and swap out speakers and then amp them of the stock headunit would be a pain.

The OP already said he has the non bose so how will he have bose amp/speakers :doh:

That's why I said he needs to decide on a budget first as swapping each bit will be a pain :bangin: The Bose speakers are not great so am guessing the non Bose ones are worse so changing them would be my first option, no point changing for a new HU if the speakers are a pile of crap.

For instance my Seat Leon came with awful speakers, I swapped them for decent Pioneer ones and it is a huge difference, cost me £120 fitted to change all speakers, no HU, no amps just crap speakers for decent speakers :thumbs:

Headunit swap is always first on my list, did it with our Alfa GT and just done it on a mates Celica gen 7, both some loads better running stock speakers.