WTF have they done to my HID's??

KyleR

Hey, when I purchased my Zed, it had two different temperature lights, so I bought new matching ones and went to fit them today. Took the wheel wells outs and removed the near side bulb, then removed the far side wheel well and went to remove the bulb only to find it is completely different to the near side! There was no silver box on the back of the bulb just two wires where the thick braided silver cable was and down below is what I can only suggest is a HID conversion kit! The thinner silver cable is still in place but not connected. :rant:

post-9675-135011919494_thumb.jpg

post-9675-135011919479_thumb.jpg

Why would anyone take out the original HID system in the far side light and replace it with a f***ing HID conversion kit?

I've attached some photo's to show the bulb I removed from the far side. Even if it was a HID kit but accepted the normal HID bulbs that wouldn't be too much of a problem but probably still get me a bit rattled!

Can someone please tell me what I need or even better point me in the right direction or where I can find the parts and maybe a few prices? Cheers.

is it a UK zed or JDM

Hey mike, it's a UK Zed.

Maybe I will PM ZMANALEX, would it be ok to just pm him the link to this thread? I'll not be home until Sunday night and no computer here and it's pretty to write on this blasted phone!

Has it had a bump and someone replaced it with the wrong spec headlight?

Actually Leonk that's a good point, I guess it's possible, but the bumper and side panels seem to be originals but the far side wheel well was only put in last year going by the date on the sticker on the inside that I found when taking it apart, I just put it down to being broke when changing the bulb out or something.

Now I'm starting to wonder what else is wrong!

Can any one tell me if it's possible to convert a standard halogen headlamp to xenon if Leonk is right? I'm sure that would be much cheaper than buying a whole new headlamp!

Edit: I just checked the headlight glass, both say D2R and H7 underneath. Can someone with an import or who didn't have Xenons as standard take a few seconds of they're time and check theirs please?

I'm assuming the lamp is ok though, as I believe the high beam is an H7, so maybe I just need the OEM ballast and connector lead or even better just the connector lead if it fits the aftermarket HID kit.

H7 will be the high beam, DR2 the HID. All the headlights are designed to take HID so get a ballast/bulb from ZMANALEX or R35LEE. They will be cheapest and best option :thumbs:

Thanks Chris, so look like I'm just going to have to buy a new ballast and bulb connector or even 2nd hand. Think I'll still have to strip out the headlamp to fit it all though.

Has anyone any idea why someone would do this? I mean, taking out the factory HID ballast and fitting a cheap HID kit?

cost

Would it really be cheaper to buy and fit a complete HID kit rather than buy a ballast from a breakers? (providing it was a blown/fused ballast in the first place)

Yep defo, if somebody has went to nissan and got a price they would have shat their pants at the price. Most people wont go round breakers yards. Id hazard a guess they have taken it to an auto shop to get repaired and the guys and thrown in any old crap tbh

cost

Would it really be cheaper to buy and fit a complete HID kit rather than buy a ballast from a breakers? (providing it was a blown/fused ballast in the first place)

Yep defo, if somebody has went to nissan and got a price they would have shat their pants at the price. Most people wont go round breakers yards. Id hazard a guess they have taken it to an auto shop to get repaired and the guys and thrown in any old crap tbh

And that is the very reason you, me and many others join forums regarding the car/bike that they own, the money that can be saved is astronomical.

cost

And that is the very reason you, me and many others join forums regarding the car/bike that they own, the money that can be saved is astronomical.

Yup agreed :thumbs:

Booked it in for a service on the 30th and they'll have a look at the lights and other problems including the rust on the bonnet that I pointed out.

My cousins fiancé is a mechanic there, so hopefully he'll have the time to come have a look at everything and get it sorted before I bring it into Nissan and save me a few quid.