Bought a shed and within 4 hours its up in flames

chriswatson99

Yeah spoke to Admiral on Saturday afternoon and they sorted out the salvage guys to pickup the car but didn't really say what happens next. Assuming once the salvage guys pickup the car then some insurance assessor will take a look at it to make sure i didn't chuck a petrol bomb over it and hopefully the cheque will be in the post.

I'll give them a phone this afternoon to find out though as i've never had to go through this before and wont be in a hurry to do it again.

there's a lot of people on Ebay and Gumtree who are part-time/weekend car sellers pretending to be private and I'd be inclined to think that one of those spivs is more likely to sell a dodgy car than a bonafide private seller...perhaps check their ebay history etc to see if they do make frequent money from car sales then you might have some come back.

Hope you get it sorted!

S.

Good luck on getting it sorted, I know a few people who work for admiral and they are bastards for settling claims, they will offer you below trade price first off and be hard about it... so prepare yourself for a battle to get the best price for your car (you may be lucky and get a nice person to settle the claim)

Glad no one was hurt though!! :thumbs:

Personally I'd wait for their offer, if it's less than you paid for the car then argue you'd only just baught the car so that should be the value (but they might not agree to that as people could buy cars for more than they're worth and split the profit). If you're unhappy with the offer, gather prices for cars of the same model, spec, age, mileage and condition from Autotrader/Pistonheads etc and send them the links as examples of what the actual market value is rather than the value they've taken from glasses guide or where ever. Remember to use any factory fitted extras in your favour, sat nav etc. I had to claim about 12 years ago from Admiral and managed to get more than I paid for the car as it was fairly rare for an MR2 Turbo to have TCS and cruise control (if I remember correctly, there was something fairly rare anyway) etc. Either way I wouldn't settle for less than I paid for it.

Good luck on getting it sorted, I know a few people who work for admiral and they are bastards for settling claims, they will offer you below trade price first off and be hard about it... so prepare yourself for a battle to get the best price for your car (you may be lucky and get a nice person to settle the claim) :

Thats all perfectly normal for insurance companies. They know that a certain percentage of people will just assume the price the insurance company is offering is the fair price the car is worth and accept it.

My brother had someone write his car off a few years back and the insurance company`s first offer was £1500. I looked on autotrader and an identical car, with same mileage, condition & specification would cost him £5200 to purchase. We wrote the insurance company a letter saying that the insurance value is the cost to replace the car, and enclosed about 8 print outs showing what that car would cost to buy and how much it would cost him to replace.

They wrote back and agreed with us and paid £5200.

Just another example of how insurance companies try to rip you off.