Installing cat back exhaust

SparksCW

looks very good! Cobra exhaust is high up on my list of mods to do - the car just sounds way too muted with the stock exhaust, and a weight saving is always a good thing!

I love the sound of the stock exhaust, well enjoyed it a lot more after the pop charger was fitted. So many mods, so little time or is that meant to be so many mods, so little money to do it :lol:

Excellent. I still have nightmare memories of when I fitted my cat back system. Took me about 5 hours as everything was siezed solid. Id never seen bolts as rusty on a 20k mile old car before. Rediculous.

Yeah would of liked to of had a go at doing it myself but dont have all the tools etc especially if rusted bolts are involved ( also if it would take me 5 hours :lol: ). Will take it to my local trusty independent to fit me thinks!

Excellent. I still have nightmare memories of when I fitted my cat back system. Took me about 5 hours as everything was siezed solid. Id never seen bolts as rusty on a 20k mile old car before. Rediculous.

Yeah would of liked to of had a go at doing it myself but dont have all the tools etc especially if rusted bolts are involved ( also if it would take me 5 hours :lol: ). Will take it to my local trusty independent to fit me thinks!

Well thats one reason why i did it myself as i just didnt trust a garage to do it properly. The only time I ever took a car to a garage to have an exhaust fitted they managed to snap off the bolts holding the down pipe to the turbo. So since then regardless of what car ive had, ive always done it myself, as i figure im more patient and can spend the time doing it properly, rather than getting the impact gun on it and snapping them all off!

Looking back I should have used a blow torch on the bolts, rather than relying on wd40 and patience. In the end Mr Angle Grinder and Mr Air Chisel helped me get the old system off. :thumbs:

Well thats one reason why i did it myself as i just didnt trust a garage to do it properly. The only time I ever took a car to a garage to have an exhaust fitted they managed to snap off the bolts holding the down pipe to the turbo. So since then regardless of what car ive had, ive always done it myself, as i figure im more patient and can spend the time doing it properly, rather than getting the impact gun on it and snapping them all off!

Looking back I should have used a blow torch on the bolts, rather than relying on wd40 and patience. In the end Mr Angle Grinder and Mr Air Chisel helped me get the old system off. :thumbs:

I don't think I would have got the bolts un-done at all without the blow torch... even with the torch we had to get the bolt glowing red before it cracked loose. I think a blow torch is going to be my next tool investment, makes stuck bolts sooo much easier, just need to be careful I don't set fire to my garage (again :lol: )

I normally install stuff myself as I'm not exactly minted so prefer to save on labour to spend on other things/petrol/bills :lol: so will try most things usually. To be fair there is a nice sense of satisfaction after installing the shiney exhaust myself!! :thumbs:

I don't think I would have got the bolts un-done at all without the blow torch... even with the torch we had to get the bolt glowing red before it cracked loose. I think a blow torch is going to be my next tool investment,

Me too! I`ll be off to toolstation this weekend in fact and add it to my shopping list! :thumbs:

Yeah can certainly understand where the level of satisfaction comes into it and i do what I can if im confident in doing it. Havent got the tools to do it and I dont want the exhaust falling off 1/2 a mile down the road :lol:

Yeah can certainly understand where the level of satisfaction comes into it and i do what I can if im confident in doing it. Havent got the tools to do it and I dont want the exhaust falling off 1/2 a mile down the road :lol:

Need a hand :shrug: I am 20 mins down the road, :thumbs:

Ah cheers for the offer Zugara, really decent of you :#1: Can see why Jim and co like you ;) Like I said I really dont have any of the tools available etc im afraid and the garage is just down the road.

Thanks for the offer though, much appreciated!

Ah cheers for the offer Zugara, really decent of you :#1: Can see why Jim and co like you ;) Like I said I really dont have any of the tools available etc im afraid and the garage is just down the road.

No probs :thumbs: ever in need, just ask ;)

Hes a star, helped me out many a time :thumbs:

Vice versa mate, Im quite a good tea maker :blush:

Thats what i love about forums like this. People always helping each other out. Top bloke! :thumbs:

I would like to offer people help, but to be fair most things I make up as I go along :lol:

Went to see my car today, it's all sprayed, door handles are colour matched and on (look great) and the spoiler has been sprayed. By tomorrow it should be fitted and the whole car mopped. Exhaust tips have been spot welded and I'm fitting them in the morning. The spray work is perfect, looks like new. I am going to leave it with them a few more days as they are now spraying the wheels black and the last body shop lost the linkage for the passenger door handle :bang: so he's had to order a replacement from Nissan.

I seriously can't wait to get it back and post some pictures on here, I know a few people were waiting to see the colour matched orange door handles! :thumbs:

Have my car back after a long and slow 13 weeks :thumbs:

The exhaust is perfect, a nice growl on idle, quite loud both in cab and outside when you have foot on the throttle, but then weirdly when you let off the throttle (i.e motorway speed, taking it easy) it almost goes as quiet as the standard :surrender: I was worried that as it's so loud under acceleration it would be unbearable for normal use, but it's really not that bad when you're taking it easy.

The girlfriend isn't impressed though as she can't hear the music as I keep winding the window down and accelerating :blush:

Will get pics once the wheels are finished next week, but anyone thinking of colour matched door handles, DO IT. massive difference for the better. :clap:

The girlfriend isn't impressed though as she can't hear the music as I keep winding the window down and accelerating :blush:

Will get pics once the wheels are finished next week, but anyone thinking of colour matched door handles, DO IT. massive difference for the better. :clap:

Looking forward to seeing how the door handles look. They are a kind of a "feature" of the zed and make it stand out, so will be strange to see them colour coded.

Had to laugh at the girlfriend not liking the exhaust. Mine went ape when I first fitted my K1 system. She had her hands over her ears the whole journey saying "make it stop, make it stop", then had a splitting headache for 2 days. Now she refuses point blank to get in my car. So guess thats kind of a result! :thumbs:

Looking forward to seeing how the door handles look. They are a kind of a "feature" of the zed and make it stand out, so will be strange to see them colour coded.

Hmmmm I think they stand out too, but not in a good way :blush: I saw another sunset zed yesterday (in Portsmouth going into Sainsburys Farlington) which was completely standard and the handles seem to stand out, as do the silver wheels. Maybe just me, but I think it looks so much better colour matched B)

Just need to source some black zed badges for the front and rear now and all the silver is gone :thumbs:

Having driven the car a bit with the new exhaust I can now safely say :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

Sounds incredible and I swear it's a bit faster, maybe imagining it but either way I'm not complaining.

Easily the best money spent on the car. :thumbs:

Exactly what I want to hear Sparks, pleased to hear your :cloud9: it B)