Still waiting!!

nixy

Have managed to twist the husband's arm almost fully now in my quest for a 350z. The final sticking point is the running cost and not the cost of the car itself. There just doesn't seem to be any way around the fact that it's going to be expensive to run for a daily round trip commute of 50 miles in traffic. Do you think it's cost effective getting an old diesel to use occassionaly and in winter or does the tax, insurance MOT etc for another car outweigh the idea? I daren't even mention the cost of parts! What I'm trying to make him understand is that cars to me are a hobby with the added bonus of getting me to work. I have threatened to go out and buy a horse instead as a hobby - see how much that costs to run! :D

Hi and Welcome, if its any help i use a 10 year old punto for the daily commute to work and for parking on supermarket carparks., cant bear the thought of taking the zed there. So for me the cost is worth it just soley for not gettin my zed dented. And hopefully the cost of parts wont be too bad, you should not need many unless you get the stubby, z badges, wheels ,nismo!!!!!!:headhurt:

I run a 10 year old 440 too for certain trips and use it as a general battle wagon. I think the cost saving is there but not massive, I get 37 mpg, £300 insurance plus and MOT and £50 service a year, and about 15-20k miles on it a year. It's the mileage saved I reckon helps stop the depreciation on the Zed. But overall, the running costs really aren't that bad. :)

Hi and :welcome: I use my Zed daily and cover around 350 miles a week. My journey to work is a mix of country lanes, town traffic and motorway and I'm averaging around 24 mpg. I also own an old hack that I use during the summer months for towing, but the cost of keeping it taxed, insured, etc, for the full year would be greater imo than the savings on fuel if I used it daily.

The Zed is a brilliant drive and for the performance it is not an expensive car to run.

He already moans about my CTR guzzling fuel so I've tried to persuade him it won't be TOO much more. Official stats for the CTR are 30MPG - I usually get about 270 miles to 30 quids worth of fuel but I do like to put my foot down. I'm not sure how much worse 24MPG is in real terms but the above comments are very reasurring.

He already moans about my CTR guzzling fuel so I've tried to persuade him it won't be TOO much more. Official stats for the CTR are 30MPG - I usually get about 270 miles to 30 quids worth of fuel but I do like to put my foot down. I'm not sure how much worse 24MPG is in real terms but the above comments are very reasurring.

I only get 350 miles from £70 worth of fuel :dry:

Running costs are not too bad.. If the car is in warranty theres one thing off your mind.

My insurance has gone down since getting one.

Petrol wise on a commute I'm getting about 27 ish to a gallon.. So not to bad at all, the super unleaded makes it a bit more pricey but not terrible if you buy from the right places.........

www.petrolprices.com

Think I need to take some driving economically classes! I'm happy if I managed to hit 20 mpg. Normal weekly commute gets me around 18mpg. Last tank of petrol lasted 260 miles with lots of motorway miles and cost me £55 to fill her to full again.

Running two cars can be expensive depending on what you have.

If I only did 10k miles pa then I would only have 1 car but I do nearer 20k so I use two cars.

Cost for the 2nd car is £300 insurance and £100 road tax and depreciation. But then you also gain from less depreciation on the 350Z.

Also when I do a 45 miles drive to/from work, it costs just over £8 in petrol in the 350Z, do it in the 2nd car and it only costs approx £3.60 so you save there.

Think I need to take some driving economically classes! I'm happy if I managed to hit 20 mpg. Normal weekly commute gets me around 18mpg. Last tank of petrol lasted 260 miles with lots of motorway miles and cost me £55 to fill her to full again.

Thats cos your filling it up too soon :D

£55 @ 90p per litre is only 49.5 litres. The zed takes 80 meaning you still had 30.5 litres in the tank :surrender:

You would get 350 from your tank if didn't fill it up when it gets to just under half full :lol:

i used to run 2 cars and i found that i would always end up using the little diesel coz it was cheaper and easier........... i think if your gonna buy a performance car the running cost shouldnt really be an issue.............. if it is then perhaps you should reconsider the choice of car you buy......... :)

I run an M reg diesel Astra and my Zed. Total insurance bill pa is £600 for both. I get around 19.5 mpg on average in the Zed and 45 - 50 mpg in the astra. Only MOT costs as I do the servicing with my mate.

I think it makes a big difference in the overall running costs in a year, well it leaves extra money for mods anyway! :yahoo:

i use my car everyday............. i dont do much milage but i enjoy every second of it............i think for me by the time i bought another cheapo ...taxed it... insured it..... wear n tear on it i would rathe put that money in petrol in me zed.......... ;)

I ran the Zed everyday until the weather started turning up here. I have a low excess on my Zed but a car isn't the same after being smashed. I'd rather run the diesel dog to and from work and in the poor weather.

It makes you appreciate the Zed all the more when you do drive it!

It makes you appreciate the Zed all the more when you do drive it!

Thats very true.

Even a guy I know has copied me. He had an Audi TT and only does about 5k miles pa but even he has bought a van to use for to and from work since he got a new model TT in November.

Well I finally nagged victor meldrew into submission last night so now the tricky bit starts. I have a budget of about 15k depending on what I get for the CTR so realistically can't afford to trade in and would probably be looking at an import. I'm then in the age old situation of having to sell my car first and have nothing to drive in the meantime! I've got a few questions about imports so I'll ask in the relevant section.