UTEC interface: first impressions

Removed

I have been playing with the UTEC today. I powered it with a 9V battery (it has a useful power socket in the back, so it doesn't have to be in the car to play with the interface, maps, parameters etc). One thing struck me right away: my laptop hasn't got the serial port needed to connect it to the UTEC! :wacko: thankfully my PC does, but it's something that will have to be sorted, my laptop has got a couple of USB ports, and a printer port, as well as phone socket and network socket, wonder if some other type of cable with different end can be bought for it.

Interface seems straightforward enough, it has the 2.3 software loaded on it (old one, they are now at 2.8d) as well as the map from Japtrix for Jaysen's car and some tweaked parameters.

I have practiced with saving the map and parameter files on the PC, with no issues. I have also uploaded another couple of maps (NA of course) that I had collected from the US sites, of users with similar mods to mine.

The setup of the hyperterminal connection was ok, no problems there either.

Now it needs to be put on the car, and need to find a tuner willing to learn the utec and tweak the existing maps to suit my car! :teeth:

So is it easy enough to change maps yourself if you have the file Val? Was just thinking about changing maps as mods were added, saving on remaps by the tuner!

well in theory you could do that, if you had the map for all the mods you have, then the new map to include the mod you do afterwards.

In practice every car is different, so really a remap should be done by a tuner who knows what he's doing :)

Give Chris @ Wrs a call he is a wiz with Ecu and mapping

I thought about them, but they are miles away from me :( I would like to find a decent tuner willing to learn the utec (mind you the software itself is easy enough for me to understand, it's just a matter of "knowing" exactly what the parameters do etc, hence you need a professional :)

Also thought about Thor (they are now UK official UTEC distributors BUT I'm quite sure they haven't done any Z anyway, so it's exactly the same as going to someone else. They are also rather far from me.

I think I'll be giving Paul @ TDI North a ring, to see what he thinks about my idea

Guest prescience
Not sure Val, but there may be a usb to serial port adapter availiable from e.g. Maplins, worth a look on their website?

yeah mate Josh @ tech told me the cable to get, a usb b male to a a male, or something like that :lol:

You should be able to get a port expander for your laptop as a standard accessory which will have the serial connection. That's what I did for connecting to my Zeitronix.

Glad you are making progress, I agree having looked the interface is a bit fiddly but the manual is quite good. It's just what will changing those parameters do to your motor that causes nervousness :lol:

Just a bit.... in the Japtrix map the rev limiter is set to 6800 rpm! and reading jaysen's original post when he got it tuned, westpak (the Japtrix guy who tuned it) said there was no need for the initial 7500rpm limit! :scare: and he lowered it to 6800...

Jaysen's car had a borla true dual on as well, hi flows intake and aps plenum. he gained about 18whp iirc. Not too bad

Val

I'm sure someone has suggested it already, but I use a USB->9 pin Serial DB9 adaptor for my mininote to attach to my split second unit, and it works fine :)

EDIT: the Maplins one I use has a double end, both male and female, for the DB9, so it will work regardless of what the port is on the UTEC.