Fitting Illuminated steering controls on 2004 zed

flyboy

The stock switches on the wheel when driving in the dark are useless, and drive me mad especially in the winter. :thumbdown:

Later models have the illuminated switches.

So I just bought myself the later steering wheel with the illuminated switches. :thumbs:

Has anyone fitted them to an earlier model. I have used the search but cant find anything.

There is a thread on 350zed-tech from Australia but their wiring is different.

Can anyone help?? or am I on my own on this one.

There is a thread on 350zed-tech from Australia but their wiring is different.

I pretty much wrote that thread on Tech.

Important questions:

- What year is your Zed?

- Do you already have the steering wheel controls for audio and cruise or just cruise?

- If not to above - did you get the spiral cable with extra wires for the audio buttions? What was the part number?

- Do you have bluetooth?

- If yes to above - what happens when you press the button?

- When using bluetooth can you control the volume of the call?

I would imagine wiring should be pretty similar. The only difference I'm aware of is the AU models have a power button for the stereo the EU version has a bluetooth button in its place.

I used a US thread off my350z.com to work out what was needed for the AU version which only needed 3 wires from the spiral cable to the back of the head unit to make it all work. If you do have Bluetooth (and EU cars are the only region that come with it) we may need to investigate a little further.

Do you now anyone who has a 2006-2009 genuine Service Manual for EU we could borrow the AV section from?

Hi there,

Year is 2004 as in title of post, :lol:

I have all the buttons (6) as I have a UK GT.

They all work as they should no problems, just looking to light them up.

(Yes the volume works on bluetooth.)

I have bought the wheel but not taken delivery yet.

I have the workshop manual on CD and PDF. (looks comprehensive but dont know if its genuine)

What Next?

dismantle and fit,

my guess is they take a live feed to the power already running to the controls to feed what ever is illuminating them.

i was in the process of sorting out illuminated pre 2004 ones, but i need to finish the hydrographics first.

Ok illumination only. Since you have the buttons working already then the wiring to headunit is not an issue. Big relief.

Page AV-15 of US ESM

factorywiring2006.jpg

Shows that from the buttons there would need to be pins going through the spiral cable to the lighting section (I tapped into the parking light wires).

(i) Can you post the similar page from Section AV from your PDF version?

(ii) Need to check if your spiral cable has the pins for the extra illumination wires to run through. The part numbers I have available as guide are below but I suggest swiping a VIN from a car sale ad from an 06/07 model and call your local Nissan Parts dealer) for the UK model number. It's called a Combination Switch or Spiral Cable. Use your VIN to get the part number from your car too.

AU Part #: B5567-CF40A (Original Part#: 25567-EN025) (2 wires for airbag)

US Part #: 25567-ET025 (1 wire for airbag)

If part numbers are the same then we just need to tap into the parking wires. If different you'll need the newer spiral cable (combination switch) and then we'll tap into the parking wires.

(iii) Strongly suggest getting a few replacement torx bolts (Part#: 87850-89900) which you will almost destroy getting out. They were about a buck for me and you need two.

PS: Couldn't you have just bought the buttons themselves instead of a whole new steering wheel? Part number for AU/US cars is 25550-CF40A so I'm pretty sure Nissan UK would have a similar part available too.

dismantle and fit,

my guess is they take a live feed to the power already running to the controls to feed what ever is illuminating them.

i was in the process of sorting out illuminated pre 2004 ones, but i need to finish the hydrographics first.

Hi Mate,

The simple solution is as you state swap em over and light them up.

However I would ideally like the buttons to dim as the dash lights do and also only come on with the other Lights, Hence the request for info.

Ok illumination only. Since you have the buttons working already then the wiring to headunit is not an issue. Big relief.

PS: Couldn't you have just bought the buttons themselves instead of a whole new steering wheel? Part number for AU/US cars is 25550-CF40A so I'm pretty sure Nissan UK would have a similar part available too.

I have both sets of buttons cruse as well as radio/telephone.

Wheel was only £45 and I will sell it again for the same once I swap the buttons over ;)

I will dig out the manual tomorrow and see if I can post the wiring.