When to change gearbox and diff oil?

Rubber

Hi, did plenty of searching on this but could not find a definitive answer...

From what I have read:

- Nissan do not have an official reccommendation on when the gearbox/diff oil should be changed

- Some members have changed the gearbox oil (for genuine Nissan oil with some Molyslip) and have noticed that the gear change is smoother (both available from Zmanalex)

The issue of a 'notchy' 2nd gear is well documented when the car is cold and my car also suffers from this but is fine when everything heats up. My car is old (late 2003) but only has 32k on the clock so not a huge amount of use and no track use. So, old oil with not a lot of what you may call heavy use.

I'm not sure whether to have it changed :headhurt: . What's the old saying, 'If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until you break it'!!! No sorry not that one, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'!!!

What are your thoughts on this one?

Cheers,

Chris

I tend to agree with the philosophy that it won't do any harm.

I've read that the fill and drain plugs can be reused and do not require any new seals etc as long as you are careful. Anyone had any issues removing these? i.e. they haven't come off in 8 years so I hope they don't come off and then start leaking at a later date, I can;t imagine a gearbox with no oil would operate very well :wacko:

Chris

I've just had a full service done on the car, complete fluids swap, and replaced only the sump plug (cos the previous garage had managed to mash the threads) Car was sitting on 40k miles when i had this done and am so glad i did, feels like new again.

No brainer Chris :lol:

As you know, all fluids in stock mate :thumbs:

Transmission and differential level and drain plug washers also in stock if required but normally they are reusable providing they are not stretched.

Alex. :)

Decision made - will be in touch soon. Will get the garage to do this one as it looks like a bit of a pain getting under the car for this job.

The coolant/oil/belts can wait until the Summer :thumbs:

Chris

Appologies for the hi-jack, but while this one's hot...

My 2nd gear is grumpy too with 30k on a 54 reg and so i'm going to be changing gearbox and diff oils soon.

Just one question please, do i need to get the gearbox nice and warm before i change the oil or will it drain fine when it's cold?

Thanks

Appologies for the hi-jack, but while this one's hot...

My 2nd gear is grumpy too with 30k on a 54 reg and so i'm going to be changing gearbox and diff oils soon.

Just one question please, do i need to get the gearbox nice and warm before i change the oil or will it drain fine when it's cold?

Thanks

Best done when HOT. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

There are two things I have done which have vastly improved the gearchange on my Z:

1. Fitted a heavier gearknob. This made the biggest difference. "KTA" on here makes some very nice items out of stainless steel and I can safely say it made a huge difference to the quality of the gearshift. Some of the purists may say that you're losing some "feel" too but if that "feel" is horrible and notchy that's a win in my opinion! :lol: When I changed the gearknobs I was surprised to feel how heavy the standard one is so make sure you go for something really heavy like a KTA stainless to get the improvement. :thumbs:

2. Switched my gearbox oil to Amsoil. Not the most trendy of oils I know but it really does make a noticable improvement to the 350Z shift. I switched to the Nissan/molyslip combo a while ago to try that but I instantly found the gearshift worse and also got a disconcerting humming noise from my gearbox when really cold (5C or below). It went away once warmed up (after a mile or two) but it still freaked me out a bit! I had the gearbox oil changed back to Amsoil last week and my gearshift is much better again now and no more humming noise. :)

Gearbox oil is about the only area where I differ with Alex's recommendations. He's a top bloke and has been very helpful in providing me with parts and advice (and decimating my bank account! :lol:). If he can't supply the Amsoil then you can get it from Opie Oils, just let me know if you want a link.

There are two things I have done which have vastly improved the gearchange on my Z:

1. Fitted a heavier gearknob. This made the biggest difference. "KTA" on here makes some very nice items out of stainless steel and I can safely say it made a huge difference to the quality of the gearshift. Some of the purists may say that you're losing some "feel" too but if that "feel" is horrible and notchy that's a win in my opinion! :lol: When I changed the gearknobs I was surprised to feel how heavy the standard one is so make sure you go for something really heavy like a KTA stainless to get the improvement. :thumbs:

2. Switched my gearbox oil to Amsoil. Not the most trendy of oils I know but it really does make a noticable improvement to the 350Z shift. I switched to the Nissan/molyslip combo a while ago to try that but I instantly found the gearshift worse and also got a disconcerting humming noise from my gearbox when really cold (5C or below). It went away once warmed up (after a mile or two) but it still freaked me out a bit! I had the gearbox oil changed back to Amsoil last week and my gearshift is much better again now and no more humming noise. :)

Gearbox oil is about the only area where I differ with Alex's recommendations. He's a top bloke and has been very helpful in providing me with parts and advice (and decimating my bank account! :lol:). If he can't supply the Amsoil then you can get it from Opie Oils, just let me know if you want a link.