father-in-laws problem BMW

ioneabee

Hi all

father-in-law has a bog standard 318i, which for the 3rd time now has loss of power issues - repaired on No 3 cylinder with new injectors and plugs.

so the question is - is this a common fault and what could be causing it ?

thanks

Have a read through this :headhurt:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136258

In summary, well documented problem with BMW 2.0L 4cylinder petrol engines(and some 6 cylinder petrol) especially those with Efficient Dynamics auto start and stop technology-built dates post September 2007. Main problems faulty coils, injectors. Remedy?-replacement of coils, injectors, spark plugs and software update.

Is this a long term fix? - no one knows :shrug: some people end up replacing all 4 coils, injectors and plugs and yet the same problem reccurs.

Hope this helps. Oh..worth getting BMW's very own extended warranty if the car is out of manufacturer warranty as there seem to be a reccuring theme for this problem..just my two pence :thumbs:

As mentioned above this is a pretty common problem on the 4 cylinder Beemers. There's loads of posts and useful information on the thread linked above.

BMW dealers are all too aware of the problem, but that doesn't mean they won't deny all day long that there's an inherent problem with these engines.

Your best bet is either to get rid of the car or try and extend the warranty, because from all I've read the problem never really goes away. That said, there was supposed to be a new Bosch coil pack in use for the last few months, but I'm not sure if this has fully cured the problem or not. That post on the E90 forum is your best bet for detailed information and folks far more knowledgable than me on the situation!

what year is the car mate? The only other recommendation is get him to ring up BMW UK to see if they will make a goodwill contribution to the repair bills :shrug: It's easier to put forward a case if he has full BMWSH :thumbs:

Like what Fuse has said, BMW is well aware of the problems but refuses to acknowledge the problem and call for a recall. It will probably costs them a fortune and they make a lot more money from customers taking out their extended warranty. This sucks..i know :bang: Beginning to think the motor industry is full of shrewd ruthless thieving stealers :surrender:

Unfortunately i don't think you could claim warranty or take out a warranty after the car has been in for the repair. The terms and conditions on their warranty states that you are not allowed to make a claim for the first month of the warranty :thumbdown:

he's had the car back -------- with a bill for £400 :scare:

he showed them the comments from here and the other site "condensed" - and he ended up paying £80 :surrender:

no comment yet on what they've done though - I'll report back when i know

I hope it's cured the problem, but I'd say there's a fair chance the same thing will happen again, plenty of people reporting getting the same problem over and over again. If it's an option I'd consider trading it for something else, though I appreciate that may not be possible.

It's good that they've lowered their bill, but it's disgraceful that they just try to fleece you until you provide them with proof that this is an inherent defect. How many people have just stumped up the cash because they didn't know the full story?

Hi all

the car is a '58 plate (he thinks - there or there abouts anyway)

they replaced all 4 coils, plugs & injectors - so definately a result

but none of the sensors :thumbdown:

as before, they were going to charge him £465 - and reduced it to £85 as the cost of the diagnosis (ie plugging in the computer for 10 seconds) :yuck::rant::shrug: