Electric Supercharger?

brillomaster

Found this on ebay - looks too good to be true?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Supe ... 336fd4d7a2

I might give it a go, got to be good for at least 50 extra BHP, and at £22 thats surely a bargain! Has anyone dyno'd a car with one of these on?

Nah im not that stupid.

But on a (hopefully) serious note, how much power/how big would an electric supercharger have to be to make any kind of difference to an engine?

Someone may have to explain the specifics in a bit more detail to me, but sure something like this would give some kind of gain?

leaf-blower.jpg

or would it just suck too much electricity? or maybe with a petrol powered one? separate tank for the blower?

(Waits to be flamed!) :disguise:

they've applied for a patent for it or something.... but thats a conventional turbocharger except using an electric motor to spool it up faster than exhaust gases do... its more of an anti lag system.

just had another thought... KERS... could that extra 60KW of power be better spent on a electric supercharger, rather than simply an electric motor? Dont superchargers take energy from the crank, but then return more than double that in form of boost?

they've applied for a patent for it or something.... but thats a conventional turbocharger except using an electric motor to spool it up faster than exhaust gases do... its more of an anti lag system.

just had another thought... KERS... could that extra 60KW of power be better spent on a electric supercharger, rather than simply an electric motor? Dont superchargers take energy from the crank, but then return more than double that in form of boost?

Ahh. I think the biggest thing is getting electric. You could hook up another alt but then whats the point. Is kers 60KW and if it is how long is it 60kw for?

isnt the new m3 coming with an electric charger of some sort?

I think that was just a lot of very early speculation. It'll be a triple-turbo lump, with some amazing plumbing no doubt.

Someone far cleverer than me did the maths once on just how much energy you'd need to make an electric supercharger feasible, and it came back with something like 14 car batteries to power the thing which would make the weight gain far worse than any potential power increase.

Well I work in the turbo industry for Cummins / Holset as a Product Engineer and can tell you that in some applications the turbocharger shaft can transmit upto 25% of the engine power so it's gonna be similar power requirements on a supercharger, I.e a load of batteries or a very large Li-ion one.

• 1 month later...

That electric thing that goes into the airtake pick up (if it's the same one for about £30).

Personnaly l just can't see it being that simple, and more like a rip off.

Very simular to those nagnetic fuel savers that bombard the fuel with positive or nagative atoms or something.

can anyone actually put there hand on there hart and say they work?

change the exhaust, change the filters and get an uprev. I did and was amazed at the difference.

thenoname :yuck:

These were discussed to death on the MX5 forums. Total con.

If you could spend that little and get that much, why isn't everyone doing it? or making is as standard?

It was exposed as a load of Cod on both Top gear and 5th over the years.

It's a shame that we can't have a bot that picks out terms and words, and kills them dead B4 some poor sucker goes and wastes their money on these nasty scams. plus I don't have to cast my eyes on it lol:)

:bangin: