Rear Wiper Delete

Gaz350

Hi Guys,

first may I apologise incase anyone has already asked this (I have searched for a relevant topic but all to no avail). But is there a how to guide for removing the rear wiper and washer mechanism? If not would some kind soul mind writing one up for me, I would hate to damage my pride and joy by tampering with it so some instructions or hints would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Gaz :)

Thanks guys that's fab, will get round to doing it this week sometime, i've got a 25mm grommet for the wiper, but only have 19mm or 22mm for the washer, do you think one of these will work or should I really make sure it's a 20mm grommet (I'd rather be safe than sorry but 1mm seems a very tiny amount to make any real difference!)? :shrug:

The weight is a counter-weight to make shutting the rear hatch take less effort. Lifting open is not considered a problem as the gas struts assist, then hold the hatch open. However in real life, the struts weaken with age and may not hold the hatch open, as mentioned above. Removing the weight, in theory, puts less load on the struts, and of course there's the age old argument about overall weight saving.

In practise, having removed the counter-weight (and the wiper motor etc.), I find the hatch lifts with very little effort, and shuts easily enough not to notice a difference. Just occasionally it may not catch if I'm not commited, in the same way that you sometimes swing the drivers door in a limp wristed fashion and it fails to catch and you have to give it another go. Not a problem really.