Checking the oil level

Shinjuku

Ashamed to say it but I want to canvass some advice on this most basic of topics.

Why do they make such an easy process more difficult than it needs to be!? The dip stick goes round bends and has notches in it (making it jerky to insert and remove), the stick only has hatching on one side (and the readings on the two sides differ considerably). The stick does not seem to give a clear reading - yes it has oil on it in the hatched area but then further up the stick there are randomly deposited blobs as well.

For the first time on any car I've had I'm not sure I am getting a clear reading.

Any advice to help me with this most basic of tasks! Should I ignore the unhatched side even if it gives a different reading to the other side of the stick? Is there a technique to get a cleaner more accurate reading?

Cheers

Shinjuku

05 Reg DE Engine

1) Get the engine warm then leave to settle for at least overnight on a level surface and then check ....

2) Bear in mind that between the top and bottom marks is about 1.5 litres and add oil accordingly....

3) Repeat from 1 until you're satisfied that you have the correct amount of oil in the sump

Note:

The dipstick was designed by a dipstick

Husky 2010

1) Get the engine warm then leave to settle for at least overnight on a level surface and then check ....

2) Bear in mind that between the top and bottom marks is about 1.5 litres and add oil accordingly....

3) Repeat from 1 until you're satisfied that you have the correct amount of oil in the sump

Note:

The dipstick was designed by a dipstick

Husky 2010

Thanks for that.

I thought from reading the manual that the oil was supposed to be checked warm (although I think I have a manual for a later engine model). Does it not affect the oil level in the sump if its left overnight and is cold. Can see the benefit of leaving it to stand overnight as that would allow the oil to drain into the sump properly. Just wondering if effectively checking cold is OK?

Shinjuku