Question for the sparkies in the house!

srobrien

I am not an electrician so others feel free to correct me.

It looks like the CPC (earth) is connected to the metal back box and then a fly lead to the switch. Should the main CPC not be connected to the switch and then a fly lead to the back box.

Also should the shower not be on an RCD protected circuit?

If you have remade the conductors off into a new switch re-tighten them in a week or so.

I find this site usefull. www.diynot.com.

Regards

I am not an electrician so others feel free to correct me.

It looks like the CPC (earth) is connected to the metal back box and then a fly lead to the switch. Should the main CPC not be connected to the switch and then a fly lead to the back box.

Also should the shower not be on an RCD protected circuit?

If you have remade the conductors off into a new switch re-tighten them in a week or so.

I find this site usefull. http://www.diynot.com.

Regards

While you are correct in that the cpc's should be connected directly to the switch, there appears to be no flylead at all. I think he was going to put one in the new switch. Yes, all final circuits should be protected by a 30ma RCD. While it appears there is not one in the board that you can see, there may well be a standalone one near the shower.

If not then yes he should get one :thumbs: !

Would it not be easier all round to fit a lower wattage shower?

Perhaps all the wiring was correctly rated in the first instance for a lower wattage shower and then later, when the shower inevitably packing in one cold January morning, someone decided to replace with a higher wattage shower without checking the current rating of the cabling etc?

I haven't done the sums etc so do say if I'm wrong.

Jim