Golf 4 motion vs 350Z...

Kennydies

Stephen,

Again the zed is a great car for what it is and I still cannot see anything that has its value for money.

The JP Bedford thing is invalid as that decision could be have been made on commerical reason only. Why have JP just announced the entire Zed fleet being replaced by Jag XKR. Does that imply that a XKR is a better track car.

If it was a track focused car why are RJN the only people in the UK that race then. Surely the pricing of the car should have attracted more interest. (I think drift is nothing to do with racing/track so exclude the D1GB stuff)

I am sure your car spec is awesome and would love a go in it. Just thing there is better cars out there to do that work.

THE main reason to post this is that I think anyone doing more than 3-4 track days a year would actually cause long term damage to their Zed.

excessive break wear etc. If you do prep work like change pad/disk and inspect all relevant bits every week then not a problem as you will pick up something before it goes bang.

PS if you want fun in a cheap track car, look at BMW shed racing or similar.

I guess it's down to definition of track-focussed. Your definition as a track regular is going to be a lot different to mine. The point I was trying to make is that the Z has design elements trageted specifically at the ability to drive the car on the limit, that cars in the same commercial bracket - the Chrysler Crossfire, Audi TT, and Mazda RX8, do not.

It won't compete with a Lotus Exige or VX220, sure enough, but then those cars are almost like track cars that have been made begrudgingly road legal. I'd include a Caterham in that description!

If any one has this months copy of EVO, you will note from the Fast Fleet that they have a 350Z Roadster, this was taken to the Ring and at the end of the article, the reporter stated , that if you uprated the sus and brakes then it would make a great ring taxi, then if you wanted to get a sub 8 minute lap, get it super charged

Coz a gayman at least looks decent on the inside, not like an older 911 which imho has a horrible interiour, and because getting a new car is always better than buying 2nd hand, especially when there is no more warranty and knowing the prices of porsche labour and spare parts :p

and for the price you spent on all that you ve could have gotten a porsche Cayman S B)

Porsche Cayman S - £44K

Limited Slip Diff & fitting (cruelly missing from Cayman S) - £1.5K

TOTAL £45.5K

---

350Z - £26.5K

Bilstein suspension - £1250 - http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/ ... category=1

AP-Racing Brakes - £3K

Vortech Supercharger, supply and fitted, with additional safety anciliaries - £6K

TOTAL £36,750

... leaving you £8,750 in pocket.

What have I missed out? I've even used list price.

and for the price you spent on all that you ve could have gotten a porsche Cayman S B)

Porsche Cayman S - £44K

Limited Slip Diff & fitting (cruelly missing from Cayman S) - £1.5K

TOTAL £45.5K

---

350Z - £26.5K

Bilstein suspension - £1250 - http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/ ... category=1

AP-Racing Brakes - £3K

Vortech Supercharger, supply and fitted, with additional safety anciliaries - £6K

TOTAL £36,750

... leaving you £8,750 in pocket.

What have I missed out? I've even used list price.

Also cut the price of the Z by 7k as you don't need to by it new, hence 29K, + a nice supercharged 7 badge, buy the parts from the US of A and your laughing

... which will be lost on the Cayman by fitting the LSD.

And a factory warranty from Nissan is worth *very* little, trust me. I fitted my supercharger when the car only had 3000 miles on it and the only warranty items I've needed have never been oily ones.

Andy, do you go to tracks in the south as would like to see another zed go round.

Was great Abingdon when there was 5-6 of them.

Haven't been no mate, furthest south was Prestwold Hall in Loughborough near Leicester. Other than that tend to go to Anglesey more often than not. Although I've had a Z on the track, I'd much rather do it in a Caterham - much more fun!

Plus for what you can hire them for for the day I'd rather not have the worry of breaking something in the Z. Imo if you used the Z on a track for a whole day you'd need tyres & new pads at the very least; pretty costly day.

In my opinion for a track car that can be used on the road, it would be 8k on old S1 elise, 10k on Honda supercharged fitted with warranty from engine fitter and you got a 700Kg car with 300 BHP, and they go rather quickly.

PS I know of a few elises that done 100k, at my work 2 people use them for a daily "only" car they have, during summer month another 2 use them every day and there is one Exige used as a daily driver. Even at the Oxford 350z-uk meet on Saturday I found out a member on this site wife uses an elise as a daily drive for 80 miles each day. So they are not that bad.

Yes, but then you can argue that the Cayman S doesn't need to be new either - so I'm going on list price for everything, from new.

In my opinion for a track car that can be used on the road, it would be 8k on old S1 elise, 10k on Honda supercharged fitted with warranty from engine fitter and you got a 700Kg car with 300 BHP, and they go rather quickly.

PS I know of a few elises that done 100k, at my work 2 people use them for a daily "only" car they have, during summer month another 2 use them every day and there is one Exige used as a daily driver. Even at the Oxford 350z-uk meet on Saturday I found out a member on this site wife uses an elise as a daily drive for 80 miles each day. So they are not that bad.

Yes, but then you can argue that the Cayman S doesn't need to be new either - so I'm going on list price for everything, from new.

Completely agree. My gf has an S1 Elise and they are awesome cars. We were having this dicussion at the meet. An S2 is trying to be something it's not. The S1 knows exactly what it is, and goes well. So much fun, and it has been reliable to date and servicing costs are not bad at all. Get one! :thumbs:

You reckon?, I doubt it, plus you wants a Gayman when you could buy an older 911 instead

It's not that easy a comparrison to make, I had a 3.2 Carrera Sport for a while and every time it went into the garage I was looking at a 4 figure bill and it was never anything major that went wrong, I sold it becuase of the running costs.

As for the CSL, it is lighter, it has 70 odd more bhp and trick tyres, no wonder its a bit quicker.