bad vibrations!!

christianmg

ah was gonna try and do a play on the beach boys song here, but thought it would be waisted!

has anyone else experienced "bad" vibrations when idling, especially when starting the engine from cold, but its increasingly becoming all the time now, like just at the traffic lights.

It sounds like a vibration coming from the back box exhaust general area? As soon as I accelerate or even rev it goes away, but take the foot off the gas and it comes back. Its quite fast and loud enough to notice with the radio volume at 12.

I know its probably nothing major, but its really taking the fun out of the car, and Im worried if I take it to a stealership they'll prob try and flog me a new suspension or back box?

Any thoughts guys??

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4814189/IMG_4745.MOV

Ok its not the best movie ever but hopefully can give you an idea! It wasnt vibrating that bad tonight, but I know if I took it as far as the traffic lights it would start to go bananas! Its just its pouring out!

There was a problem with it about 2 months ago, and when I got the mechanic to look at it, the heat shield had rusted away 2 of the 4 bolts so he said that cause the car isnt used for racing or anything, he could remove it and it wouldnt affect the car. This was a nissan guy too. Does that sound right?

Just incase you notice the lack of heat shield in the video

Thats ok, but you would feel more heat under your feet if they are/were removed. The vid don't work :shrug: not a hyperlink.

This sounds like the shield is causing the noise...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4814189/IMG_4745.MOV

Ok its not the best movie ever but hopefully can give you an idea! It wasnt vibrating that bad tonight, but I know if I took it as far as the traffic lights it would start to go bananas! Its just its pouring out!

There was a problem with it about 2 months ago, and when I got the mechanic to look at it, the heat shield had rusted away 2 of the 4 bolts so he said that cause the car isnt used for racing or anything, he could remove it and it wouldnt affect the car. This was a nissan guy too. Does that sound right?

Just incase you notice the lack of heat shield in the video

The video link hasn't worked that well, but from copying and pasting the link I was able to view it.

Looks like you might have a leak at the flange joint between the mid pipe and back box. I only say this as you can see water leaking from the joint as you pass it with the camera and everything else underneath is dry.