scratched inner door handles

steved

Chaps and chapesses. The inner door handle thingy (technical wizard speak) that houses the electric door switches has become increasingly scratched by wedding ring etc when opening and closing the door. Any advice about repair / prevention please (apart from ditching the ring and divorcing the good lady)

It seems like a common problem on the Zed. You could try removing it and repainting it or wrapping it. There are a few guides on here on how to do it. It's not too hard a job.

I went for the wrapping option, in carbon style. Really happy with the results. :thumbs:

Edit: just seen DB beat me too it!

I just touched up the marks that were showing white.

The eye is drawn to the white, once these bits are black again, its not nearly so visable.

I used a thin modelling brush plus black enamel paint.

I did think of removing and spraying using my modelling spray equipment, but the indentations would still remain unless you rub down too!

It depends how much time you want to spend on it!

I think I will wrap at some time.

I used a black crayon with surprisingly good results - not perfect but a million times better than it was and doesn't come off on your hands as you might think!

My scratches were caused by opening the door with the keys still in my right hand - I always try to remember to transfer the keys to my left hand when taking them out of the ignition before opening the door :thumbs:

Make sure you sand down where you can so its smooth - if you just spray or wrap it as it is the difference where it is scratched will still show through, even the wrap. So try to sand back the edges where the paint has come away and blend it in!

Mines like that. I realised that when I unclip the seatbelt it flies over and the buckle hits the handle.

Jesus...how much tension does your seat belt have??? Do you unclip in the middle of an emergency stop just as the system is self tightning? :lol:

Thanks everyone. Think I will go for the wrap option. Can't use the crayon. I need them for work. They don't let me use sharp things! And could i be the first to wish you all a very merry christmas. Well, the first after Asda, Tesco, Waitrose, Sainsburys. Aldi, Morrisons and Patels Mini Mart

This is another job on my list, the drivers side handle on mine has a few scratches on it. From memory i think its a satin black sort of finish on it, so any touching up would need to be a satin paint id have thought. I`ll see how hard it is to remove the handle and if its not too much of a pain i`ll just repaint them.

When people talk of using crayon do they mean a wax crayon or a coloured pencil (crayon means different things in different places)? If its a wax crayon, what stops this coming off onto hands, clothes etc? Hope this deosn't sound like too idiotic a question.

Has the use of a black indelible marker pen ever been tried or would the somewhat glossy nature of this material show up against the matt base? Thanks all!

When people talk of using crayon do they mean a wax crayon or a coloured pencil (crayon means different things in different places)? If its a wax crayon, what stops this coming off onto hands, clothes etc? Hope this deosn't sound like too idiotic a question.

Has the use of a black indelible marker pen ever been tried or would the somewhat glossy nature of this material show up against the matt base? Thanks all!

I used a wax crayon. The wax fills in and builds up the scratches making them less noticeable. Once you've gone over all the scratches, rub over them fairly hard with your finger then wipe of the excess wax with a paper towel. Doesn't come off onto your hands after that but I guess if you rubbed a white sleeve or something against it fairly hard you might notice it coming off then.

Still doesn't look perfect as the wax is a bit shiny compared to the rest of the handle but looks miles better than the scratches. As others have mentioned, Vinyl wrapping is probably the best solution if you have the time