UFC/mma thread

Michael robinson

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, i think enough time's passed now... what did we think of the event?

For me the best fight was the Terry Etim fight - what a knockout that was!! He didnt even see it coming.

The end of the Aldo fight was crazy too when he ran into the crowd...

What about the No Contest verdict too... i thought that was harsh but Jo Rogan was a bit tight on the referree afterwards! :lol:

The NC should hopefully get rescinded, he caught him once on the back of the head out of about 8 shots, hard to connect with every one when he's on the ground covering up.

Aldo is crazy, was funny watching security guards trying to protect him from the crowd, cos a Brazilian crowd are gonna attack him aren't they? :lol:

Fantastic event. Seriously good. Felt for Etim, but what a highlight knockout. I do love spinning body kicks, so I might have to work on my stretching to allow for the spinning heel kick!!

Can't fault the event at all. The crowd were psyched up for it, and the Aldo ending just put the icing on the cake.

My full post on it is here:

http://tinyurl.com/7w6qnyl

Complete with details on how I messed up my betting!! :(

al

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Smmash-MMA/136474463090120

UFC on FX: Guillard vs. Miller is on ESPN TONIGHT. It is scheduled as "Live: Boxing", but it is the UFC. Starts at 2am. There is UFC Unleashed on before it.

My predictions (or lack of) for the event are here.

http://www.smmash.co.uk/1/post/2012/01/ufc-on-fx-guillard-vs-miller.html

Also, there's a funny video of Pat Barry kicking one of those fairground Punch Machines.

al

• 3 weeks later...

UFC 143

Main event:

170 lbs.: Carlos Condit vs. Nick Diaz

Main card (pay-per-view):

265 lbs.: Roy Nelson vs. Fabricio Werdum

170 lbs.: Josh Koscheck vs. Mike Pierce

135 lbs.: Renan Barao vs. Scott Jorgensen

155 lbs.: Ed Herman vs. Clifford Starks

Preliminary card (FX Channel):

145 lbs.: Max Holloway vs. Dustin Poirier

170 lbs.: Matt Riddle vs. Henry Martinez

135 lbs.: Alex Caceres vs. Edwin Figueroa

170 lbs.: Matt Brown vs. Chris Cope

Preliminary card (Facebook):

185 lbs.: Rafael Natal vs. Michael Kuiper

170 lbs.: Dan Stittgen vs. Stephen Thompson

• 5 months later...

Will Anderson silva final shut chael sonnen up or will cheal sonnen win ???

UFC 148

Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen

Forrest Griffin vs. Tito Ortiz

Cung Le vs. Patrick Cote

Dong Hyun Kim vs. Demian Maia

Chad Mendes vs. Cody McKenzie

Ivan Menjivar vs. Mike Easton

Gleison Tibau vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov

Melvin Guillard vs. Fabricio Camoes

Constantinos Philippou vs. Riki Fukuda

John Alessio vs. Shane Roller

been out of touch with UFC, used to love it. Interesting to see Tito back in the octagon.

You wont see him again... that was his last ever fight :lol:

I never rated him anyway

He's never done well since his fight with chuck liddell , don't think he was good at evolving his game like the likes of Randy couture but to be fare he helped put mma/UFC on the map..

I can't see the big deal with sonnen vs silva fight

sonnen made a mistake silva clearly didn't do anything illegal but capitalised on it . Glad it finally shut him up tho was getting sick of his lack of respect for his fellow fighters and just stupidity he really did the sport no favours by acting like a dick

been out of touch with UFC, used to love it. Interesting to see Tito back in the octagon.

You wont see him again... that was his last ever fight :lol:

I never rated him anyway

He's never done well since his fight with chuck liddell , don't think he was good at evolving his game like the likes of Randy couture but to be fare he helped put mma/UFC on the map..

I can't see the big deal with sonnen vs silva fight

sonnen made a mistake silva clearly didn't do anything illegal but capitalised on it . Glad it finally shut him up tho was getting sick of his lack of respect for his fellow fighters and just stupidity he really did the sport no favours by acting like a dick

I think for a title fight the ref stopped it too early. Yes he was in the phoetal position but he was still definding... he should have had another 5 seconds at least. Just look at the Wanderlei Silva vs Rich Franklin fight the other week... franklin took a pasting in the second but still got up and won the fight.

I was gutted for Tito as well... i know like you say he's not the most dynamic fighter and he lost a lot of face not fighting Chuck for so long, but i still really liked him as a character. On TUF 3 he was a great team captain. Aparently Dana was pi**ed at Forrest Griffin for his post fight antics too...

• 1 month later...

Just moved house, so I didn't have Sky or the internet. Trying to catch up with the last couple of events.

Just saw Ben Henderson vs Frankie Edgar.

I'm a big Henderson fan, but Edgar was robbed in that one. I didn't want him to get the title but he should have had it. Shame. I just hope that we now get to see Showtime Pettis vs Ben Henderson now. That is a rematch that'll be worth watching.

• 2 months later...

Okay, I've been watching The Ultimate Fighter UK vs Australia...it's awful. Anyone else see this?

They spent most of the episode talking about someone keeping a diary and putting nasty things in it. Dear lord.

The fights are generally good though.

An injured Cung Le vs Rich Franklin this weekend, from China. Then GSP vs Condit the following weekend. I've not enjoyed the gap that we've just had.