BMW 320d, finance owing?

ug45cwb

Looking at cars to replace the Z, spotted this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-BMW-320D ... 2c5fdb9088

Called the guy who said there is finance owing on the car. He offered me 2 options, either he pays the finance as soon as its sold or I pay it off myself and the cost deduced from the buying price. This all sounded a bit sketchy and i'm a complete newb to car buying, should this be something to steer clear of?

Also, I asked his best price and he said "ideally not less than 8.5k", i'm thinking this means he would probably let it go for like 8-8.2k?

Any help appreciated!

I'd want to speak to the people he owes the cash to before even making an offer.

Sounds complex but you MIGHT get a decent price as people scared of it might not want to touch it with a barge pole.

I would say YOU paying it off would be the better option, then you KNOW it has been paid. But find out who the money is owed to and how much. Plus if it will be extra for YOU to pay it (you never know with these things!)

Keep us posted.

Don't be scared if you have to pay off the finance. Make sure you do it though as then you know it's done.

Logistically it'd be a case of calling up and paying it off when the seller was present I'd say.

Find out how much he owes on it, you might get a good deal....

Thanks for the help guys. I will check with him the details of the finance and let you know.

In the meantime, just spotted this one for sale:

http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... ?logcode=p

Its the newer 177bhp engine with efficient dynamics. Higher mileage and no m-sport kit but a bit cheaper. Main thing putting me off this one is the seller seems to only sell vans and commercial vehicles? Not sure why they would be selling this car.

Wait. I assumed this was private sale until now.

If the finance is not in THEIR NAME then they SHOULD NOT BE SELLING IT.

The private owner should have settled the finance when handing it over to a trader.

Why on earth is a trader selling a car with finance still on it. This is illegal.

Steer clear. They are obviously idiots.

Selling a car with outstanding finaince is normal practise. In fact I did this last week. But this only applies when its private sale. The private seller and dealer hsould have already resolved any outstanding finance. It is nothing to do with you.

Sorry for the confusion...there is 2 separate cars I'm talking about here. One is private sale and has the issue with finance outstanding, the other a dealer who looks to deal almost exclusively in commercial vehicles but has a 3 series for sale.

The owner calls up and gets a settlement quote posted out to him.

He shows you the letter.

You pay the finance company directly, and then give him the difference.

HOWEVER. Not all finance companies allow someone other than a business or person named on the finance to pay it off.

9K on a 2nd hand 320d :scare: You know early 335i can now be had for a little over £10K, nearly twice the power for a extra few £££s :)http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/3368575.htm

If your worried about running costs, I managed nearly 40mpg on a round trip from Leicester to London, and that included sitting in a traffic jam on the M25 for about 1 hour :thumbs:

Going rate for an SE 320D from 05 is about 7k. 8200-8400 for an M Sport. Tops. 9k is too much. Trade in value for that car is only 6k.

I just sold my highly modified 320d for 9k. It was listed for 8300 private sale but someone went for the bits and pieces bolted on too.

If you have any specific questions let me know.

Going rate for an SE 320D from 05 is about 7k. 8200-8400 for an M Sport. Tops. 9k is too much. Trade in value for that car is only 6k.

I just sold my highly modified 320d for 9k. It was listed for 8300 private sale but someone went for the bits and pieces bolted on too.

If you have any specific questions let me know.

I went to look at the eBay one today. Very clean, m-sport and low miles but yeah, 9k for a 55 plate 320d :headhurt: If I can get him down to 8k or less I might go for it, few more to look at tomorrow. Thanks for all the help. :thumbs: Do you think there's much difference between the 166 and 177 bhp versions?

Cheers

335d is the best of both worlds. 30-40mpg, and with a remap considerably faster than the old Z. That is definitely where my money would be going if you can scrape 14k together.

There are quite a few members cars coming up for sale on E90post which you could consider looking at rather than a randomer on PH, AT etc... http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22

To answer your other questions though: The 164bhp doesn't have a DPF and therefore if you remap it (I did. Got it up to 212bhp) it will smoke quite alot. Not so much a problem for you, just those behind you.

The flip side is the 177: The DPF could fail. Incurring a bill of circa 1k to replace. Same applies to the rest of the diesels from 07 onwards.

A plus for the 177 though is that it's got better looking exhausts; stop start technology and several other factors leading to significantly better mpg than the 164 and finally the turbo is much stronger. There is quite a precident now for the 164's mitsu turbo blowing prematurely (Har har).

Dave

And yeah, the 335d and 335i are both really tempting for an extra 3-4k, but then I might as well have kept the Z?! :headhurt::headhurt:

Depending on why your selling the Z. The 335d will be significenly more efficient that the Z, even my 355i is currently averaging 26mpg and thats mainly with city driving and B road blasts, on motorway runs 35mpg is easily achievable and 40mpg if you stick to below 70mph. :)

Either way your be swapping a 2 seater sports car for a practical 4 door saloon. Went to Cardiff the other weekend to see the parent in-laws, I was able to have a conversation at motorway speeds without shouting, carry 4 adults + all their luggage in comfort, and when needed put the twin turbos to good use ;)

Main problem I find with the 335i is resisting the temptation to go chasing after big BHPs...in the Z I was content knowing there is really no way to up the power without spending mega bucks...with the 335i however decats plus uprated intercooler (both of which i've just bought) and a remap will apparently see 400bhp+ :surrender: