Turning off the ignition

Jayp350z

I've been pulling my hair out the past couple of months because when I turn the ignition off in my Z the engines makes a really horrible sound as if it's on it's last leg and about to die.

I have always thought it had something to do with my k&n typhoon as I only started to notice it around the time I fitted it and have tried many things to stop it happening.

Then tonight while waiting in the car to pick my sister up from work It occurred to me that if you have to press the clutch when starting the engine maybe I should try it when turning it off... Success :yahoo:

Is it just me being stupid for not doing that in the first place or could there be a problem with the car somewhere as this is the first car I have owned where u have to press the clutch when starting up and it just never occurred to me?

That's good to hear that's it's not just me. I done a search but couldn't find anyone mentioning it and thought it might just be mine.

I was probably exaggerating when I said sounds like it's on it's last leg. It's more of a cutting out sound which just did not sound normal to me compared to every other car I've driven.

I just hope it's not a problem as I've just spent 1500 on the car and now I'm skint

That's good to hear that's it's not just me. I done a search but couldn't find anyone mentioning it and thought it might just be mine.

I was probably exaggerating when I said sounds like it's on it's last leg. It's more of a cutting out sound which just did not sound normal to me compared to every other car I've driven.

I just hope it's not a problem as I've just spent 1500 on the car and now I'm skint

You'll be fine mate don't worry. I used to stress a lot too, you'll soon realise these cars make a lot of mysterious noises, you'll get used to it mate. :thumbs:

The zeds to tend to have a very noisy transmission (including the gearbox, clutch and flywheel)

You have a dual mass flywheel which, when they wear, can be quite noisy. It could be that the spring is worn,cracked. I occasionally have a bit of clatter on start up but never switching off.

Open your door and listen. I checked several out when I bought mine, some new, and every single one done it

How many miles have you done? Likely that its nothing - some noise is normal - but it could be a sign that the flywheel is on the way out.

Does it feel clunky when you accelerate away? Thats a more telling sign its the flywheel. If not, then its perfectly normal.

mines a bit clunky but not very noticeable i love the sound of (i think) the fans turning off sounds like an aeroplane shutting down :lol::lol:

I suppose that's one way of thinking about it to make me feel better :lol:

The cars done about 57k and it's still quite smooth on pull off, even on quick pull offs.

I'm starting to get used to fact that the car make many weird and wonderful noises, I'll just have to get into the habit of pushing the clutch down to keep my mind at ease.

You have a dual mass flywheel which, when they wear, can be quite noisy. It could be that the spring is worn,cracked. I occasionally have a bit of clatter on start up but never switching off.

+1 - these dual mass flywheels make a right racket when they wear/are on their way out, especially when you switch off.

I always switch off my car with the clutch pedal pressed as I always leave it in gear because the handbrake is ridiculous!

What's wrong with the handbrake??

If its not properly adjusted at each service it can be pretty crap! I used to leave mine in gear too, even though it was properly adjusted.

I always switch off my car with the clutch pedal pressed as I always leave it in gear because the handbrake is ridiculous!

If its not properly adjusted at each service it can be pretty crap! I used to leave mine in gear too, even though it was properly adjusted.

Ahhh okay! Hadn't noticed!

I have to pull the handbrake all the way to the last click until it actually holds the car, sometimes I fear one day I'll end up ripping the whole lever out the console! :doh:

My handbrake lever looks more upright than the Leaning Tower of Pisa!!

That is in my list of things to do during the next service :thumbs: Hopefully it improves!! Once I parked up outside CS and a woman was walking past around the back of my car, the thing started rolling back even with the handbrake 'on' and the woman sh*t herself!! The car was in gear so it only rolled until it locked into gear (once I released the clutch pedal), I was still inside the car. You should have seen the look on her face :lol: She did have a laugh about it when I opened the door to say sorry! :blush: