Plenum Spacer

ric

Hey guys,

Just having a look through your PDF guide to plenum spacer fitting. I notice that when re-fitting the plenum, it says:

"Hand tighten the bolts aroung the perimeter and centre of the plenum - do not do them up too tight as there is a risk of striping the thread".

Is that all you need to do? Will this surfice to just hand tighten them and leave them forever more?

Cheers in advance!

No way Jose, you need to torque them up in a specific sequence. If you do a search on the web for "motordyne plenum spacer install guide" that will tell you how to torque the plenum correctly. Over tightening can break the plastic spacers in the middle.

Wasso is right, but if you're experienced with working on cars then you just work your way around the bolts a number of times until they feel right.

To avoid confusion I'll update the doc with the Nissan sequence and torques. You won't break the spacers they're really strong, the threads would strip first.

Wasso is right, but if you're experienced with working on cars then you just work your way around the bolts a number of times until they feel right.

To avoid confusion I'll update the doc with the Nissan sequence and torques. You won't break the spacers they're really strong, the threads would strip first.

The plastic turret spacers held by the main 6 plenum bolts aren't strong that's for sure. They will break if over tightened, just ask Husky :thumbs:

Cool, cheers guys. So a couple more questions you might be able to answer:

I don't have a tool you can set a level of tightness on. Should I buy one? (If so, where is the cheapest place to go?), or should I just follow the guidelines in the motordyne guide of putting a leather glove on and tightening by hand?

I also noticed in another thread that sometimes there can be some liquid in the plenum once you open in up. Is it best to wipe this clean so its completely try, ie. with a dry cloth?

Cheers in advance!

Halfrauds can supply you with a torque wrench but they ain't cheap. There are of course other alternatives on the web, but just don't buy *cheap* cos it is cheap. Get one middle of the road. You're bound to have a use for it in the future.

Inside the plenum will be oil deposits, you can wipe them out as you say, but leaving it there won't cause any issues.

If you are getting one of Jez's kits then doing it by hand sounds like it will be fine, just check them a week or so after you install it to make sure they are still tight.

If you are near Basingstoke, I think I have a torque wrench that goes low enough. Anyone have the specifics? I have the smalles Halfords pro jobbie, think it goes down to 8ft-lb. IIRC the specs are 10ft-lb?

Hi Chris its on this link.

100in/lbs in their spec is a smidge more than 8ft/lbs, so mine will do it as checking the specs it goes down to 6ft/lbs.

Saying that 8ft/lbs really is about as tight as you can get something with gloves on before they will move and stop you tightening, so should be good with that if the OP cant get a torque wrench.